Graphic Designer, Children's Books
Design | Mountain View, CA | Full Time
KiwiCo is an innovative eCommerce company that sparks kids’ creativity and curiosity through offline and online materials and inspiration. We offer kids a delightful, engaging way to explore, create, and learn; and arm them with the creative confidence and tools to change the world. Our core offering is a subscription service that delivers hands-on projects to kids of all ages. We also have an online store and a content hub for families. We take great pride and ownership in the products and experiences we design and in the community of parents and kids we serve. Our offices are located in lovely Mountain View, CA. Currently, we are working remotely. As guidelines permit, we will move to our plan of hybrid, remote/in-office work.
Role and Responsibilities:
The Graphic Designer, Children’s Books, reports to the Director of Publishing and is responsible for conceptualizing and executing all book needs to support cohesive book publishing aligned with our brand and product lines. The role requires an ability to work in a fast-paced environment and interact with multiple stakeholders including Editorial, Sourcing/Production, and external illustrators, agents, designers and book packagers. It is the Graphic Designer’s responsibility to uphold the visual integrity of the brand in our books and execute all aspects of visual design – from content ideation to final deliverables.
The ideal candidate will have a design related bachelor’s degree, an excellent eye for detail, be highly creative and open to feedback and have proven experience designing for the children’s market, preferably children’s books. The position requires the ability to multitask, juggle various projects at once and have excellent time management skills.
The ideal candidate will:
- Demonstrate a passion for children’s books, including board books, picture books and non-fiction for all ages
- Work closely with book Director and Editor to conceptualize and execute books that align with the goals of the publishing program in a manner that is on-brand and innovative
- Create stellar visual solutions that advance the KiwiCo brand via typography, photography, color, illustration, and other visual mediums
- Source, and then art direct artists as necessary, based on feedback from various contributors
- Demonstrate a strong command of Adobe CC (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator) and ensure that all files are built properly, are correct, complete, and include everything that is needed for production of the book project
- Demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills required for meetings, presentations, and email correspondence
- Accept constructive feedback openly with a positive attitude
- Route books throughout various stages of development, gaining the necessary approvals to finalize
- Present covers to an in-house executive team
- Manage schedules of overlapping projects
- Assist with organizing and archiving all visual and book assets
- BA/BS degree – Graphic Design or related field
- 3-5 years of professional design experience
- Design experience in children’s publishing highly preferable, including experience with board books, picture books, novelty books, activity books and non-fiction books for all ages
- Proficiency in InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, and Adobe Illustrator
- Excellent attention to detail, accuracy and quality while managing multiple projects and meeting tight production deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Strong aesthetic and the ability to communicate creative direction
- Self-starter, high level of initiative, strong time management skills
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Strong portfolio demonstrating a refined aesthetic sense, seamless adaptability to a brand’s existing visual style, and an unyielding attention to detail
- Strong foundation in typography, book layout, color theory, art direction and general design knowledge
- Creative and innovative thinker
- Experience working in a startup environment is a plus
If you’re passionate about delivering innovative, delightful, and enriching books for kids, we’d love to hear from you. Please apply by submitting your résumé, portfolio, and cover letter telling us why you're interested in KiwiCo and what you'd bring to this specific position and our team.
KiwiCo is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Individuals seeking employment at KiwiCo are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected category.