Design | Mountain View, CA | Full Time
KiwiCo is an innovative eCommerce company that sparks kids’ creativity and curiosity through offline and online materials and inspiration. We offer kids a delightful, engaging way to explore, create, and learn. Our core offering is a subscription service, and we also manage an e-commerce storefront where we sell KiwiCo exclusive merchandise. We design and deliver awesome hands-on projects to kids. We take great pride and ownership in the products we build and in the community of parents and kids we serve. We’re backed by leading investors, and we were named one of the “20 Startups to Watch” by Business Insider. Our offices are located in Mountain View, CA.
We are looking for an experienced, extraordinary Art Director who is passionate about delivering a cohesive and compelling brand across consumer touchpoints. You are a strategic thinker who rolls up your sleeves to get things done. You have built and nurtured loved consumer brands, cultivated high performing teams, and have championed the consistent delivery of the brand throughout organizations. You’re a tireless champion for the customer and the KiwiCo brand, with a focus on delivering inspiring creative assets to be delivered across all customer touchpoints. You are inherently curious and creative. You look for better ways of approaching problem solving, get energized by tough problems, and like collaborating with others to get things done.
- Lead the design efforts supporting paid and organic marketing. Provide art direction around the creation of inspiring photography, video content, ads and social media.
- Deliver marketing copy, content, and creative that communicates key concepts and proposition effectively
- Create beautiful visual solutions that meet business and user needs by representing the brand via typography, photography, videography, color, illustration and other factors
- Build an exceptional creative team to deliver creative needs. Establish direction and coordinate others’ creative work to ensure consistency and alignment. Manage design team members ranging from editorial, graphic design, web design, illustration, and photography / videography
- Develop processes and systems that scale. Actively seek areas of continuous improvement
- Work in a highly iterative and collaborative way, directly alongside product managers, marketing managers, product designers, developers, sourcing
- Create, maintain, apply and monitor the official brand style guide - be the champion of the KiwiCo brand
As a start-up celebrating creativity and development, we believe and encourage the same in our team. We seek team players with an infectious positive energy, great initiative, and a get-it-done attitude. Candidates must thrive in ambiguity and love a rapid pace. You must have a strong desire to learn and improve. Excellent organizational, communications, and multi-tasking skills are musts. Required skills and qualifications include:
10+ years of design, brand, editorial / magazines, photography / videography and/or consumer product experience with progressive responsibilities. Has worked extensively within a production environment, meeting deadlines & incorporating feedback. Experience in children’s product preferred
Able to create and establish loved consumer brands and associated new design language and editorial guidelines from scratch and set design standard in addition to scaling an existing set of standards
Strong experience with entire design process for marketing creative (digital & print), print, periodicals, web and/or mobile products, and videography / photography.
Astute storyteller via copy, design, illustration, and photography / videography.
Innovative thinking and creative problem solving skills
Proven record of innovation. Ability to think creatively and critically - understand how to balance business objectives with user needs. Think outside of the box, yet put yourself in customers’ shoes
Broad operating range. Thinks strategically and has a love of detail and design finesse. An enthusiasm for directing others and rolling up your sleeves and delivering design work. A balanced understanding of strategy, usability, interaction and visual design
Achievement in building, mentoring, and leading a high-performing team of creatives. Able to give direction and feedback to achieve desired outcomes and a consistent brand
Design leadership across the entire product lifecycle and multiple product launches. Able to prioritize and manage workload and meet project timelines and deliverable dates
High level of taste and aesthetic sense. A critical eye and an obsessive attention to detail
Exceptional communication skills; clearly explains design decisions to business partners, product designers, and engineers
Experience in an entrepreneurial startup environment
Experience with children’s products, magazines, YouTube a bonus
If you’re passionate about delivering innovative, delightful, and enriching products and experiences for kids, we’d love to hear from you. Please apply by submitting a resume and cover letter telling us why you're interested in KiwiCo and what you think you'd bring to this specific position and our team.