Business Unit Lead - Germany
Commercial | Munich, Germany | Full Time
Kite, a Gilead Company, is a biopharmaceutical company engaged in the development of innovative cancer immunotherapies with a goal of providing rapid, long-term durable response and eliminating the burden of chronic care. The company is focused on chimeric antigen receptor (CAR) and T cell receptor (TCR) engineered cell therapies designed to empower the immune system's ability to recognize and kill tumors. Kite Europe is headquartered in Stockley Park, UK and is currently adding additional talent as it focuses on developing the European Region in support of providing maximum access to patients with unmet needs
This role will report into the Head of Europe for Kite. The Business Unit Lead primary mandate is to set up and lead Kite’s Cell Therapy Unit’s business in Germany. This role will ultimately be responsible and accountable for the strategy, planning and implementation of all commercial activities within Germany, with success defined by accelerating broad access to patients for Kite Pharma’s innovations, starting with axicabtagene ciloleucel (axi-cel). The Business Unit Lead will manage a team of Medical and Sales professionals and lead the cross-functional team to drive operational excellence. The Business Unit Lead will be a member of Gilead Germany’s local leadership team and will have a dotted reporting line into the GM of Gilead Germany. This is a unique opportunity to play a key role, as part of German and EU Leadership, in the launch of a truly innovative therapy.
Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
- Maximise the commercial potential of Kite Pharma’s assets through the development and implementation of strategic/operational plans in collaboration with regional marketing and medical affairs teams
- Build and execute a highly successful launch of axi-cel plan for KTE-C19 in Germany
- Lead the cross-functional team providing vision, motivation, and support and coaching infrastructure to drive the business and achieve portfolio objectives
- Partner with market access to identify, develop, propose and execute local reimbursement plans, including alignment with appropriate adaptation of European pricing, reimbursement and access strategies
- Recruit, hire and ensure training for country-specific staff who will successfully execute the cross-functional company plan in the Germany
- Take responsibility and accountability to deliver against the agreed commercial and strategic objectives, as well as Quality, compliance and risk management in Germany
- Contribute to the execution of a flawless supply chain process – customer service par excellence – supporting the administration of Kite Pharma’s technology to patients throughout the Germany
- Establish strong, effective and optimal working relationships with external bodies (incl. Payers, Patient Associations, and Thought Leaders)
- Foster an environment of strong collaboration across the local, regional and global organisation, balancing the needs of Kite Pharma in Germany with those of the broader corporate objectives
- Ensure that all business activities are in line with company policies, procedures and local guidelines.
- Facilitate market learning and knowledge sharing to accelerate the commercialization of KTE-C19 throughout the European organization
Knowledge, Experience & Skills
The successful candidate will be a recognized leader, with relevant experience in market access, pricing and reimbursement. They should also have demonstrable knowledge of Public, Governmental, and Medical Affairs.
Personal characteristics will be crucial; self-sufficiency, energy and drive are essential to take this opportunity and run with it.
Exceptional communication and leadership skills are a must along with a level of comfort at working in a high-growth environment, where influencing and negotiating across an organization, are a prerequisite.
You will need to demonstrate:
- high degree of emotional intelligence, displaying humour, candour and integrity
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills, internally and externally
- Ability to manage complexity, ambiguity and paradoxes
In addition, the role requires:
- Demonstrable and meaningful commercial leadership experience in the Germany biopharmaceutical industry, as a highly successful Business Unit Lead and/or strong marketing leader within the specialty therapeutics arena
- Successful track record of overseeing product launches in Germany, preferably with more than one product and encompassing haematology/oncology therapeutics or orphan/rare diseases.
- Demonstrable relationships with key pricing and reimbursement agencies, and a deep involvement in successful access and reimbursement strategies and their execution
- Specific understanding of the complexity of the transplant arena is highly advantageous
- Possess a strong and robust personal and professional network, whilst being adept at building new relationships rapidly with KOLs and other stakeholders such as industry associations
- Knowledge of the technical development of commercially successful biopharmaceutical, cell therapy or gene therapy products
- Demonstrated excellence in project management and effectively managing multiple projects/priorities
- Experience with pharmaceutical regulatory requirement
- Track record of successful budget management with an understanding of revenue forecasting and expense budget planning and tracking
- A natural self-starter, hands-on, entrepreneurial and innovative, with the ability to build a business, whilst possessing innate ‘market-making’ capabilities
- An authentic commitment to working closely with the patient community
- Strong leadership qualities with the ability to attract talent and contribute to a culture of collaboration, engagement and motivation at the local, EU and corporate level, with an approach to teamwork and partnership that fosters open communication, constructive conflict and organizational flexibility
- Learning agility and nimbleness to take on increasing responsibility as Kite Pharma grows
- Excellent and demonstrable command of written and spoken English
- Ability to provide strategic input at an EU level
- International experience, either working in a Global or Regional role or in the context of above-country project teams is desirable
- Undergraduate degree required, MBA and/or postgraduate preferred or advanced science degree (MD, Pharm D, PhD)
- Open to significant travel required
Kite Pharma is an equal opportunity employer based in Munich, Germany. Kite Pharma offers the opportunity to be part of a successful, fast growing company in a cross-functional and collaborative environment.
To learn more about us, please visit our website at www.kitepharma.com.
No phone calls please and no agencies or recruiters.