Youth Development Instructor
Education | New York, NY | Part Time
About KING: Kids in the Game is dedicated to developing New York City’s youth by providing opportunities through sports and fitness to the schools and communities we serve. Our goal is to develop the next generation of leaders by developing healthy habits, an active lifestyle, and promoting personal growth through play and competition.During the school year, KING is rooted in dozens of schools around New York City, offering recess, after-school, physical education, early drop off fitness, and sports instruction. In addition, KING operates summer camps, sports clinics (basketball, soccer, volleyball), and special events.
Position Description: Our coaches and instructors rock! They are responsible for planning, organizing, and implementing a suitable range of activities and programs for individuals, groups, or teams. Our team will support you with trainings and curriculum to be followed at the schools and in the sites that we rent for our programs. Typically, our coaches are placed in 1-2 different schools throughout the week where they coach anywhere from 10 to 20 hours per week at a competitive hourly rate, depending your experience and schedule. Think about it, you get to spend a part of your day playing New York City’s finest cherubs. If that doesn’t sound awesome, what does?!We're currently looking for several types of youth instructors in a variety of part-time hourly and salaried positions, including: Recess, Physical Education, After School, Sports Clinics and Summer Camps.
Responsibilities and Duties
Core Responsibility: Coaching recess and afterschool programs at NYC schools Monday-Friday (or specific days depending on schedule)
The positions we have open range from part-time hourly positions (6-16 hours per week), to part-time salaried Sr. coaching positions (20-25 hour / week commitment), to full-time coordinator positions (40 hours per week).
- Safety First:
- Inform Site Director of participant problems which impact on the health or safety of any KING participant. No issue or concern is too small to share!
- Provide an enjoyable and safe sporting experience for an assigned group of athletes, while they learn individual and team games skills, sportsmanship and fair play
- Keep a Watchful Eye:
- Identify and respond to participant behavior issues. Report these issues to Site Director to come up with a plan of action.
- Teamwork Makes the Dream Work:
- Work to reduce conflict among participants, create a team-friendly environment with positivity.
- Work to establish and improve team unity and spirit
- Plan, Plan, Plan:
- Demonstrate organizational skills: lesson planning, timelines, following schedules and set goals.
- Ensure equal playing time for all players, regardless the score.
- Coach an assigned group of children and focus on skill development, safety, fair play, sportsmanship and fun
Qualifications and Skills
Bilingual English/Spanish is a plus
Pass a NY State run background check
CPR, First Aid and AED certified
2+ years of experience working with children required;
experience leading recreation programs/activities;
experience leading groups of varying sizes
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees, participants, parents and caregivers
Ability to communicate effectively and in a timely fashion with participants, families and caregivers, both verbally and non-verbally
Ability to solve practical problems in a variety of situations.
Ability to interpret and understand instructions, both written and oral
Job Type: Part-time