Summer Camp Division Leader
Education | New York, NY | Part Time
Kids in the Game is dedicated to developing New York City’s youth by providing opportunities through sports and fitness to the schools and communities we serve. Our goal is to develop the next generation of leaders by developing healthy habits, an active lifestyle, and promoting personal growth through play and competition.
During the school year, KING is rooted in dozens of schools around New York City, offering recess, after-school, physical education, early drop off fitness, and sports instruction. In addition, KING operates summer camps, sports clinics (basketball, soccer, volleyball), and special events. During the summer months we trade our whistles for sunglasses and run five day camps across NYC.
Kids in the Game is looking Group Division Leaders that will work closely with the Camp Director and Assistant Directors to make the 2018 summer the best one ever. Will you be tying shoes, putting on sunscreen, answering a million little one’s questions? Absolutely. But you will also be going on field trips, playing sports, and changing kids’ lives all day long and there is nothing better than that. Most importantly you will be providing a supportive, safe, and fun environment for the youth of New York City to grow and learn while experiencing the non-stop fun of Summer Camp!
Responsibilities and Duties
The Division Leader is energetic and will oversee up to 3-4 groups of campers (10-15 campers per group) along with approximately 6-8 counselors. They will have a hand in coordinating
- Commitment to at least 3 days of training leading up to the first week of camp; Dates TBD but likely Saturdays before camp begins
- Inform Site Director of camper/staff problems which impact on the health or safety of any KING camper. No issue or concern is too small to share!
Keep a Watchful Eye:
- Identify and respond to camper behavior issues
- Engage with campers, keeping daily notes and handling any camper issues within your division.
Teamwork Makes the Dream Work:
- Work to reduce conflict among campers, create a team-friendly environment with positivity.
- Collaborate with Camp Director and Associate Director to train and evaluate Head, General, and Junior Counselors.
Plan, Plan, Plan:
- Demonstrate organizational skills: lesson planning, timelines, meet deadlines, following schedules and set goals.
- Hold weekly division meetings with counselors to go over the weekly schedule, field trips and other group needs.
- Assist Camp Director and Associate Director in any special event planning and execution for your division.
Play (almost) All Day:
- Plan and execute the activities in coordination with the program staff and supervisors
- Act as a primary supervisor along with the Assistant Director of Field Trips on off-site trips.
Fun, Fun, Fun:
- Attend staff outings to take a break and enjoy time with coworkers outside of camp
*** Loose Ball Rule: Team player; performs other duties as assigned
Our Core Coaching Principles:
We are Committed: Engage in all camp activities with the campers. Plan and lead small and large group activities for campers during scheduled group times, transitions, or other down times. Get to know the kids, learn their names, be their role model. Commit to the summer – all 8 weeks!
We are Present: Be attentive to the physical, social and emotional needs of the campers assigned to your group. Checking your phone can wait, making camp great for kiddos can’t.
We are Positive: Maintain an enthusiastic attitude and serve as a role model. Promote positive and appropriate behavior through speech and action on a daily basis.
We are Prepared: Dress appropriately, arrive on time, stay until the end of your shift, attend all appropriate staff meetings, and pre camp training/staff orientation to ensure quality standards are upheld. During counselor choice, be prepared with games and lesson plans.
We are Ambassadors: It’s simple, live these core KING values every day and you will be our best ambassador. Be proud of your amazing work with today’s youth and know that this work truly matters.
Qualifications and Skills
Amazing with kids!
DOE or DOH fingerprinted is a plus Bilingual English/Spanish is a plus
Pass a NY State run background check
CPR, First Aid and AED certified is a plus
3+ years of experience working with campers required; experience leading recreation programs/activities; experience leading groups of varying sizes
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees, participants, parents and caregivers Ability to communicate effectively and in a timely fashion with participants, families and caregivers, both verbally and non-verbally
Ability to solve practical problems in a variety of situations.
Ability to interpret and understand instructions, both written and oral
Camp Dates : June 25th – August 17th; 8-week commitment; no camp on July 4th. We do have 6 week openings too at all camps.
Camp Hours : 7:30am to 4:30pm (aftercare runs to 6pm; rotation each week)
- Upper West Side: School of the Blessed Sacrament
- Inwood- Good Shepard School
- Riverdale- St. Margaret’s of Cortona
- Park Slope- St. Saviour High School
- Upper East Side – St. Stephen’s
Compensation : Based on experience