Technical Director, Product Development - Skincare
Product Development | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Kendo Holdings, Inc. is a San Francisco-based beauty brand developer and wholesaler owned by LVMH Moët Hennessy - Louis Vuitton, the world’s largest luxury group. A play on the words “can do”, Kendo has become the hub of creativity and next generation beauty product development for global Sephora channels and selective retailers outside of Sephora.
Through original development, collaborations and acquisitions the Kendo stable of brands will always be creative, inspiring and innovative. A dynamic engine of speed, expertise and market-savvy, the Kendo team continues to redefine the beauty industry through great product, great storytelling, great retail and direct-to-consumer partnerships. This shows up in everything we do and in what we stand for:
- ENTREPRENEURIAL SPIRIT: We seek creative ways to get things done
- PERSEVERANCE: We are moved by Winston Churchill’s words, ‘never, never, never give up’
- GENEROSITY: The power of giving
- STORYTELLING: Creating authentic stories to inspire
- QUALITY OBSESSION: Our product quality is a reflection of ourselves
- FUN: Work, life, and fun are woven of a single fabric
- ADVOCACY, DIVERSITY & INCLUSION: We believe in listening with humility and acting with courage. We recognize, seek, and celebrate the power of diversity across the full spectrum of personal identity.
The Kendo house of brands currently includes: Bite Beauty, Fenty Beauty, Fenty Skin, KVD Vegan Beauty, Marc Jacobs Beauty, Ole Henriksen.
The Technical Director, Skincare Product Development must have a strong technical knowledge and background, related specifically to skincare development and scale-up. The position will be responsible for innovating, facilitating and troubleshooting through technical aspects of formula development and scale-up. The position will also lead development projects from concept to launch, managing internal and external communications and ensuring all milestones are achieved based on launch timelines. Candidates must have strong technical development, interpersonal and project management skills.
- Act as key technical lead, while partnering with the Ole Henriksen Sr. Manager PD and Fenty Skin Sr. Manager PD, to troubleshoot through technical development and scale-up challenges.
- Lead day-to-day communication with external partners on technical aspects of development and scale-up.
- Work cross-functionally on formula development and scale-up.
- Maintain key relationships with contract manufacturers. Conduct onsite development when necessary.
- Evaluate formula submissions with team and management.
- Review batch and finished good retains as needed, including on-site approvals whenever necessary.
- Monitor and maintain on-time delivery of critical project milestones.
- Contribute to new development design with innovative concepts and ideas.
- Research new ingredients, textures and products to allow for greater innovation.
- Survey competitive landscape to develop best-in-class products by identifying trends and current and emerging competitors.
- Bachelor’s degree (BS/BSc. preferred) with 10+ years in skincare formulation & product development
- Strong technical knowledge and expertise required
- Exceptional product evaluation skills
- Strong working knowledge of global regulatory and testing guidelines
- Passionate about skincare and the beauty industry
- Experience and strong relationships with domestic and international suppliers
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects through strong prioritization and planning
- Proven track record of taking ownership and driving results
- Ability to work in fast-paced, often-changing collaborative environment
- A self-starter who takes initiative
- Able to take direction, collaborate and understand it is a team effort
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Ability to think both strategically and tactically with exceptional attention to detail
- Proficient in Microsoft PowerPoint and Excel
- Domestic and international travel is required