Sr. Director, Product Development, BITE
Product Development | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Kendo Holdings, Inc. is a San Francisco-based beauty brand developer and wholesaler owned by LVMH Moët Hennessy - Louis Vuitton, the world’s largest luxury group. A play on the words “can do”, Kendo has become the hub of creativity and next generation beauty product development for global Sephora channels and selective retailers outside of Sephora.
Through original development, collaborations and acquisitions the Kendo stable of brands will always be creative, inspiring and innovative. A dynamic engine of speed, expertise and market-savvy, the Kendo team continues to redefine the beauty industry through great product, great storytelling, great retail and direct-to-consumer partnerships. This shows up in everything we do and in what we stand for:
- ENTREPRENEURIAL SPIRIT: We seek creative ways to get things done
- PERSEVERANCE: We are moved by Winston Churchill’s words, ‘never, never, never give up’
- GENEROSITY: The power of giving
- STORYTELLING: Creating authentic stories to inspire
- QUALITY OBSESSION: Our product quality is a reflection of ourselves
- FUN: Work, life, and fun are woven of a single fabric
The Kendo house of brands currently includes: Bite, Kat Von D, Marc Jacobs Beauty, Ole Henriksen and Fenty Beauty.
BITE Beauty was born with a singular idea – create lipstick that is remarkably different. Sourcing good-enough-to-eat ingredients, developing edible innovations, and producing every product in-house, BITE manufactures without compromise and ensures only the highest standards for colour, texture, and performance. BITE Beauty proves you don’t have to sacrifice performance for a product made from nature.
This position will be responsible for the day-to-day oversight of product ideation from concept to launch, lab communication, presentation to management, as well as management of relationships with cross functional partners in packaging, project management, sourcing, brand management, regulatory and quality assurance for Bite Beauty
- Manage all phases of formula development and new product innovation in the color and skincare cosmetics category. Includes ground-up and opportunistic development
- Lead internal communication with cross-functional partners as it relates to product briefs, formula evaluation, copy and claims, artwork and regulatory deliverables
- Monitor and maintain on-time delivery of critical project milestones
- Daily communication with external partners
- Evaluation of formula submissions with team and management
- Survey competitive landscape to develop best-in-class products by identifying trends and current and emerging competitors
- Review all batch submissions as needed, including on-site approvals whenever necessary
- Maintain key relationships with plant and eventual contract manufacturers. Conduct onsite development when necessary
- Responsible for lab briefs and communication with our lab/chemists
- Lead and present innovation/concepts
- Responsible for researching new ingredients, textures, products and packaging to allow for greater innovation
- Present semi-annually in retailer Market Week and Sales/Education Conferences
- College degree preferred, with at least 12+ years relevant work experience in Color Cosmetics product development. Additional experience in skin care is preferred.
- Experience and strong relationships with domestic and international suppliers. Experience in working directly with lab preferred.
- Passionate about the beauty industry, fashion and related fields
- Experience in managing a team
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects through strong prioritization and planning
- Proven track record of taking ownership and driving results
- Ability to work in fast-paced, often-changing collaborative environment
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Demonstrate a can-do attitude and is willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done
- Is a team player, flexible and able to adapt to changes
- Ability to think both strategically and tactically with exceptional attention to detail
- Domestic and international travel is required