Senior Manager, Packaging Development
Packaging | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Kendo Holdings, Inc. is a San Francisco-based beauty brand developer and wholesaler owned by LVMH Moët Hennessy - Louis Vuitton, the world’s largest luxury group. A play on the words “can do”, Kendo has become the hub of creativity and next generation beauty product development for global Sephora channels and selective retailers outside of Sephora.
Through original development, collaborations and acquisitions the Kendo stable of brands will always be creative, inspiring and innovative. A dynamic engine of speed, expertise and market-savvy, the Kendo team continues to redefine the beauty industry through great product, great storytelling, great retail and direct-to-consumer partnerships. This shows up in everything we do and in what we stand for:
- ENTREPRENEURIAL SPIRIT: We seek creative ways to get things done
- PERSEVERANCE: We are moved by Winston Churchill’s words, ‘never, never, never give up’
- GENEROSITY: The power of giving
- STORYTELLING: Creating authentic stories to inspire
- QUALITY OBSESSION: Our product quality is a reflection of ourselves
- FUN: Work, life, and fun are woven of a single fabric
- ADVOCACY, DIVERSITY & INCLUSION: We believe in listening with humility and acting with courage. We recognize, seek, and celebrate the power of diversity across the full spectrum of personal identity.
The Kendo house of brands currently includes: Bite Beauty, Fenty Beauty, Fenty Skin, KVD Vegan Beauty, Marc Jacobs Beauty, Ole Henriksen.
The Sr. Manager, Packaging Development will collaborate with Product Development, Brand Management, and Operations to develop high quality, innovative, first-to-market products.
- Manage and drive innovation, development, execution, and quality for primary and secondary packaging
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners on timelines, costs, testing, and package design and features
- Ideate seasonal concepts with giftable, collectible packaging
- Improve and optimize the quality and performance of existing core products
- Review and optimize technical specs (2D and 3D) to develop both stock and custom packages
- Partner with industrial designers and key stakeholders on component design and functionality
- Collaborate with Sourcing team to identify viable suppliers for new package developments
- Evaluate component and packaging submissions with broader team for unified feedback
- Meet tooling and launch deadlines while meeting or exceeding margin targets
- Actively lead and contribute in brand specific product development meetings with cross-functional stakeholders
- Coordinate and manage package testing to confirm componentry fit for use
- Attend filling line trials as needed
- Oversee component packout to ensure components arrive at contract manufacturers efficiently and finished good packout meets ship test and distribution center requirements
- Survey competitive landscape and stay up-to-date with new trends to develop best-in-class and innovative product/package combinations
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with internal and external partners
- Must have a technical degree with at least 7+ years relevant work experience; beauty industry strongly preferred
- Passionate about color cosmetics and packaging
- Managerial experience and technical coaching of others a major plus
- High familiarity with key cosmetic packaging types including compacts, dispensing systems, doefoot applicators, mascaras, lipsticks, etc.
- Proficient in various packaging technologies and materials
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects – prioritization and planning
- Proven track record of taking ownership and driving results
- Ability to work both independently and with cross-functional teams in a fast moving/changing environment
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to think both strategically and tactically with exceptional attention to detail
- Fluency in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint
- Occasional travel required