Senior Director, Video
Creative | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Kendo Holdings, Inc. is a San Francisco-based beauty brand developer and wholesaler owned by LVMH Moët Hennessy - Louis Vuitton, the world’s largest luxury group. A play on the words “can do”, Kendo has become the hub of creativity and next generation beauty product development for global Sephora channels and selective retailers outside of Sephora.
Through original development, collaborations and acquisitions the Kendo stable of brands will always be creative, inspiring and innovative. A dynamic engine of speed, expertise and market-savvy, the Kendo team continues to redefine the beauty industry through great product, great storytelling, great retail and direct-to-consumer partnerships. This shows up in everything we do and in what we stand for:
- ENTREPRENEURIAL SPIRIT: We seek creative ways to get things done
- PERSEVERANCE: Never, never, never give up
- GENEROSITY: The power of giving
- STORYTELLING: Creating authentic stories to inspire
- QUALITY OBSESSION: Our product quality is a reflection of ourselves
- FUN: Work, life, and fun are woven of a single fabric
- ADVOCACY, DIVERSITY & INCLUSION: We believe in listening with humility and acting with courage. We recognize, seek, and celebrate the power of diversity across the full spectrum of personal identity.
The Effective January 18, 2022, as a condition of employment, Kendo requires all newly hired employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their start date unless they have requested and received an exemption from the Company in the form of a reasonable accommodation due to a qualifying medical condition or a sincerely held religious belief or practice.
The Kendo house of brands currently includes: Bite Beauty, Fenty Beauty, Fenty Skin, KVD Beauty, Ole Henriksen.
The Senior Director, Video, is responsible for the organizational leadership and direction of the Kendo video team which includes producers, associate producers, shooters, and editors across all of Kendo’s brands.
The Senior Video Director has an instinct for storytelling and will posses a blend of creative problem-solving while understanding complex business strategies. They will collaborate with a team of producers, marketers, designers, copywriters, brand, and education teams to translate product marketing into creative video content.
The ideal candidate must have excellent organizational and communication skills. They must posses the ability to work both independently and within a team environment. The candidate will invite different perspectives while leading the creative process. They should have an enthusiasm for teamwork and a passion for storytelling. The candidate should be up for the challenge of building long-term strategies and plans while delivering high-quality work on quick turnaround. They should be an excellent communicator and convey and execute their own creative vision and the vision of others. They must be a video/film director with an established track record within an agency and/or in-house creative team environment. They must be up to date on current social trends. And finally, they must have the ability to oversee the direction and creation of content across multiple brands.
- Oversee management and career development of entire Kendo video team which includes producers, associate producers, editors, and shooters
- Create and manage video budgets across all of Kendo brands, with oversight and collaboration with VP, Creative
- Oversee creation of all Kendo video content: Campaign videos, product page videos, education videos, social videos, product ad content, corporate videos and more
- Lead collaborations with marketing, education, brand, copywriters, and creative teams as well as outside creative agencies to create high performing video content
- Create effective concepts to accomplish communication goals within budget boundaries
- Plan and develop, with producers, pre-production ideas into outlines, scripts and storyboards
- Manage multiple projects with changing scopes and timelines
- Act as strong support for video team – assisting planning, production, and delivery of final content
- Be budget minded as you track spending of budgets across all brands
- Posesses a strong knowledge of industry standard camera technology and current filmmaking tools and techniques, including lenses, lighting, grip and other related gear
- Direct on-screen talent (beauty imagery, interviews, product application, etc.) and product imagery as needed for content
- Write scripts or direct Kendo copywriters to write scripts
- Must possess intimate knowledge of editing techniques, animation, coloring, and motion-graphic skills
- Light editing at times, Adobe Premier Pro
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to give and receive critical feedback
- Willingness to travel occasionally
- Beauty industry experience required
- Position is based in San Francisco
- 10+ years' experience in video production with a proven track record leading a team
- Bachelor of Arts in Film, Directing, Cinematography, Video Production or related field
- Portfolio of video work, including current content you have directed
- Strong technical skills with Mac Operating System, Microsoft Office, and Excel
- Familiarity with Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and Premiere Pro
- Must be up to speed with social media channels: Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and YouTube
- Experience shooting video with iPhone or DSLR
- Strong relationship-building skills; ability to work well with others from different disciplines and backgrounds
- Exceptional time and project management skills
- Highly organized, effective leader
- Thrives in a fast-paced, multi-tasking, hands-on environment
- A critical eye and meticulous attention to detail
- Can-do attitude and strong drive for excellence
- Must keep up with industry standards, technology and software changes and updates
- Model an inclusive, fun, creative, results-driven culture