Senior Creative Director
Creative | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Kendo Holdings, Inc. is a San Francisco-based beauty brand developer and wholesaler owned by LVMH Moët Hennessy - Louis Vuitton, the world’s largest luxury group. A play on the words “can do”, Kendo has become the hub of creativity and next generation beauty product development for global Sephora channels and selective retailers outside of Sephora.
Through original development, collaborations and acquisitions the Kendo stable of brands will always be creative, inspiring and innovative. A dynamic engine of speed, expertise and market-savvy, the Kendo team continues to redefine the beauty industry through great product, great storytelling, great retail and direct-to-consumer partnerships. This shows up in everything we do and in what we stand for:
- ENTREPRENEURIAL SPIRIT: We seek creative ways to get things done
- PERSEVERANCE: We are moved by Winston Churchill’s words, ‘never, never, never give up’
- GENEROSITY: The power of giving
- STORYTELLING: Creating authentic stories to inspire
- QUALITY OBSESSION: Our product quality is a reflection of ourselves
- FUN: Work, life, and fun are woven of a single fabric
The Kendo house of brands currently includes: Bite Beauty, Lip Lab, KVD Vegan Beauty, Marc Jacobs Beauty, Ole Henriksen, Fenty Beauty and Fenty Skin.
The Senior Creative Director will be accountable for leading the brand creative direction and seasonal campaigns for KVD Vegan Beauty with oversight of BITE Beauty, Lip Lab and Ole Henriksen. They are responsible for building, leading, and inspiring a design team to articulate Kendo’s brands at every touchpoint (with the exception of packaging) including consistently assessing brand relevance and making strategic creative recommendations and pivots to continuously evolve the brand as necessary in connection with the target consumer. They will be responsible for the concepting and execution of all KVD Vegan Beauty high level brand and seasonal concepts. Work will include creating all brand imagery, digital marketing, advertising, special projects, social creative, in-store animations (including renderings) and design of educational content and event spaces. The role requires equal parts visionary creative direction and team leadership/management. The individual will be responsible for evolving and expressing all elements of the look and feel of the brands. The Senior Creative Director will proactively partner with Marketing, E-Comm, Brand Management and Brand Education teams to fulfill the needs of the business while educating and providing innovation to drive the company’s brand strategy initiatives.
- Lead the brand marketing vision for KVD Vegan Beauty, BITE Beauty, Lip Lab and Ole Henriksen and ensure consistency across channels.
- Develop and execute brand and seasonal updates for KVD Vegan Beauty.
- Lead internal teams to develop impactful creative concepts and executions that deliver on the brand vision, including branding initiatives, new brand development, seasonal campaigns, advertising and social campaigns.
- Develop seasonal creative solutions for new product launches based on the brief that differentiates the brand and excites the consumer.
- Plan, execute and direct photo shoots as needed.
- Develop and maintain design/brand standards throughout all touch points.
- Responsible for meeting the deadlines of many projects running in parallel in a fast-paced environment while adhering to review and approval processes.
- Comfortable implementing feedback in a timely fashion.
- Demonstrate strong leadership and mentorship of team - project positivity, model collaborative behavior and develop the team to elevate and drive the brand feel.
- Build and cultivate ongoing creative resources via full time and freelance talent. Collaborate with and direct external agencies and vendors to produce campaigns and assets as needed.
- Proactively stay ahead of creative and consumer trends in the beauty space while constantly refining brand creative to be closely connected with the consumer.
- Regularly cascade business strategy, results, direction, and rationale behind organizational decisions to team. Ensure team goals are aligned with company strategy.
- Attend all key marketing, cross-functional, and organizational meetings as a representative of the creative team.
- At least 7-10 years of senior level experience in creative direction and design in fashion and/or beauty retail or advertising agency environment
- 7-10 years’ experience managing creative teams
- Extraordinary collaborative and leadership skills.
- Flexibility to work in a fast-paced environment with ambiguity
- Significant expertise in digital and social
- Significant experience in concepting of campaigns and photo direction along with a strong sense of typography and design essential with an emphasis on beauty or fashion
- Deep familiarity with beauty trends and brands
- Understanding of customer experience methodology, brand management, marketing, advertising, and e-commerce
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and time management skills
- Strong attention to detail with an ability to communicate clearly and concisely
- Strong multitasking abilities, highly flexible
- Travel for photo shoots
- Ability to maintain a high standard of design and productivity in a fast-paced work environment
- High proficiency in Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign and Bridge. Knowledge of Adobe Premiere and/or Adobe After Effects is a big plus but not required.
- BA Graphic Design or related field