Legal | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Kendo Holdings, Inc. is a San Francisco-based beauty brand developer and wholesaler owned by LVMH Moët Hennessy - Louis Vuitton, the world’s largest luxury group. A play on the words “can do”, Kendo has become the hub of creativity and next generation beauty product development for global Sephora channels and selective retailers outside of Sephora.
Through original development, collaborations and acquisitions the Kendo stable of brands will always be creative, inspiring and innovative. A dynamic engine of speed, expertise and market-savvy, the Kendo team continues to redefine the beauty industry through great product, great storytelling, great retail and direct-to-consumer partnerships. This shows up in everything we do and in what we stand for:
- ENTREPRENEURIAL SPIRIT: We seek creative ways to get things done
- PERSEVERANCE: We are moved by Winston Churchill’s words, ‘never, never, never give up’
- GENEROSITY: The power of giving
- STORYTELLING: Creating authentic stories to inspire
- QUALITY OBSESSION: Our product quality is a reflection of ourselves
- FUN: Work, life, and fun are woven of a single fabric
- ADVOCACY, DIVERSITY & INCLUSION: We believe in listening with humility and acting with courage. We recognize, seek, and celebrate the power of diversity across the full spectrum of personal identity.
The Kendo house of brands currently includes: Bite Beauty, Fenty Beauty, Fenty Skin, KVD Vegan Beauty, Marc Jacobs Beauty, Ole Henriksen.
The Senior Counsel is a critical partner for Kendo’s collaborative, business-minded, and growing Legal team. You will serve as a commercial generalist, with a particular focus on advertising, product claims, and intellectual property, for all Kendo brands, including: Fenty Beauty by Rihanna, Fenty Skin, KVD Beauty, Marc Jacobs Beauty, Ole Henriksen, BITE Beauty, and Lip Labs. This position will report to the VP, General Counsel and will manage the Corporate Counsel.
- Review product claims in partnership with cross-functional teams including Regulatory, Product Development, Brand, and Marketing.
- Review advertising and creative at all client touch points for legal compliance.
- Manage the intellectual property portfolios for seven beauty brands, with the help of outside counsel.
- Draft, review, and negotiate marketing-related contracts.
- Support Lip Lab retail with general store-related commercial issues.
- You will also oversee the Corporate Counsel’s management of data privacy, legal obligations related to contests, sweepstakes, promotions, and commercial co-ventures, and commercial support to .com teams.
- Develop policies, procedures, and training as needed.
- Manage the Corporate Counsel and external legal resources.
- J.D. Degree from an accredited law school; member of California State Bar in good standing.
- 8+ years of relevant commercial experience in advertising and/or intellectual property at a leading law firm and/or in-house legal department.
- An excellent ability to: grasp legal and business issues quickly; balance risks; exercise sound judgment; and provide creative, practical, constructive and timely counsel in a growing, dynamic, and fast-paced business environment.
- Positive and approachable demeanor with strong interpersonal, communication and collaboration skills with all company contributors.
- Strong managerial skills.
- Ability to multi-task and appropriately manage a high-volume workflow, setting priorities with internal clients and delivering results efficiently.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills and attention to detail.
- Ability and desire to seek responsibility and work autonomously. Must be able to handle multiple projects simultaneously with strong follow up.
- Consumer goods and personal care experience preferred.
- Excellent references.