Product Development Manager
BITE Beauty | Toronto, Canada | Full Time
POSITION: Product Development Manager
STATUS: Permanent, Full Time
REPORTS TO: Founder, Chief Creative Office
LOCATION: BITE Beauty Head Office – Toronto, ON
BITE Beauty was born with a singular idea – create lipstick that is remarkably different. Sourcing good-enough-to-eat ingredients, developing innovative formulas, and producing every product in-house, BITE manufactures without compromise, ensuring only the highest standards for color, texture, and performance. With its sole focus on lips, BITE Beauty proves you don’t have to sacrifice performance for a product made from nature.
BITE Beauty is a part of Kendo Holdings, Inc.
Kendo Holdings, Inc. is a San Francisco-based beauty brand developer and wholesaler. A play on the words “can do”, Kendo has become the hub of creativity and next generation beauty product development for global Sephora channels and selective retailers outside of Sephora.
Kendo is owned by LVMH Moët Hennessy - Louis Vuitton, the world’s largest luxury group. The Kendo house of brands presently includes: Kat Von D, Marc Jacobs Beauty, Ole Henriksen, BITE, and Fenty Beauty. Through original development, collaborations and acquisitions, the Kendo stable of brands will always be creative, inspiring and innovative. A dynamic engine of speed, expertise and market-savvy, the Kendo team continues to redefine the beauty industry through great product, great storytelling, and great retail and direct-to-consumer partnerships.
The Product Development Manager is responsible for managing product development from concept to commercial realization. The ideal candidate will not only be technically apt in cosmetic formulation, but will also have the business acumen needed to effectively assess the feasibility of our projects.
Managing a small lab and a team of chemists and technicians, this role will lead by example and drive innovation through leadership, mentorship, and collaboration.
- Oversee and manage R&D lab and department
- Develop formulations to drive new product lines and advance existing portfolio
- Work with cross functional teams (marketing, finance, operations, QA, and regulatory) and be accountable for formulation processes from marketing briefs to production scale up ensuring alignment with core values, budget, aesthetics, and feasibility
- Oversee project schedules for the team; ensure critical paths are being followed and milestones are being reached; Review project results and make recommendations as necessary
- Work closely with CCO and ensure continuous and effective rapport on projects and deadlines
- Ensure industry, legislative, and Company standards on procedures, testing, and documentation are being followed
- Be at the forefront with product research, new technology, ingredients, and consumer trends
- Ensure final products are never formulated with mineral oil, silicones, or synthetic ingredients
- Be involved with department hiring, training, and equipment procurement
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree from an accredited university or college
- Direct experience managing teams and projects timelines
- Strong colour cosmetics formulation and evaluation skills
- Working knowledge of FDA and Health Canada Cosmetics regulations
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- The ability to lead small teams and work collaboratively with executive and senior-level management
- The ability to communicate complex technical information effectively to varying audiences and stakeholders
- The ability to work both independently and as part of cross-functional teams
- Ability to apply discretionary initiative and judgment when handling confidential information
- Candidate must be able to handle a fast-paced environment while maintaining close attention to deadlines, detail, and quality of workmanship
- Creative thinker
- Ability to interpret technical documentation standards
- Highly proficient with MS Office (specifically Microsoft Word and Excel)
- COPTIS experience
Please submit your cover letter and resume. While we wish to thank all applicants for their interest in the role, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
BITE Beauty welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.