Manager, Technical Quality Control - Color
Operations | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Kendo Holdings, Inc. is a San Francisco-based beauty brand developer and wholesaler owned by LVMH Moët Hennessy - Louis Vuitton, the world’s largest luxury group. A play on the words “can do”, Kendo has become the hub of creativity and next generation beauty product development for global Sephora channels and selective retailers outside of Sephora.
Through original development, collaborations and acquisitions the Kendo stable of brands will always be creative, inspiring and innovative. A dynamic engine of speed, expertise and market-savvy, the Kendo team continues to redefine the beauty industry through great product, great storytelling, great retail and direct-to-consumer partnerships. This shows up in everything we do and in what we stand for:
- ENTREPRENEURIAL SPIRIT: We seek creative ways to get things done
- PERSEVERANCE: We are moved by Winston Churchill’s words, ‘never, never, never give up’
- GENEROSITY: The power of giving
- STORYTELLING: Creating authentic stories to inspire
- QUALITY OBSESSION: Our product quality is a reflection of ourselves
- FUN: Work, life, and fun are woven of a single fabric
The Kendo house of brands currently includes: Bite, Kat Von D, Marc Jacobs Beauty, Ole Henriksen and Fenty Beauty.
The Quality Control Manager is responsible for performing product evaluations and/or examination of batches and goods produced. This role manages and reviews documents submitted by suppliers and contractors. The Manager communicates approval of batches and goods produced by issuing documented release to suppliers/contractors. This position plays an important role collaborating with Product Development for technology transfer of new products after the initial manufacturing has been completed. Achieves quality assurance operational objectives by contributing information and analysis to strategic plans and reviews; preparing and completing action plans; implementing production, productivity, quality, and customer-service standards; identifying and resolving problems; completing audits; determining system improvements; implementing change. Validates quality processes by establishing product specifications and quality attributes; measuring production; documenting evidence; determining operational and performance qualification; writing and updating quality assurance procedures. Maintains and improves product quality by completing product, company, system, compliance, and surveillance audits; investigating customer complaints; collaborating with other members of management to develop new product and engineering designs, and manufacturing and training methods. Prepares quality documentation and reports by collecting, analyzing and summarizing information and trends including failed processes, stability studies, recalls, corrective actions, and re-validations. This position may manage employees of the department and is responsible for the performance management and hiring of the employees within that department.
- Responsible for performing physical attributes (color evaluation, product performance), evaluation and/or examination of bulk product, work-in-process, and finished goods manufactured by suppliers.
- Participates in, or performs quality control training programs to achieve organizational compliance for evaluation and/or examination for bulk product, work-in-process and finished goods control.
- Reviews suppliers/contractors batch and goods produced test results. Communicates with suppliers/contractors in regard to results of evaluation and/or examination issues related product/package integrity.
- Reviews sub-contract service inspection reports; reports issues of concern to department head.
- Monitors supplier/contractor documentation to identify modified product specifications. Proposes specification modifications where final limits have not yet been established or where test results reported indicate revision may be needed.
- Develops a process to maintain and catalogue supplier/contractor submission samples (retains) and documentation for future reference.
- Maintains product standards and coordinates with Product Development standard updates. Issue product standards to suppliers/contractors.
- Supports Quality Assurance for examination of complaint samples.
- Prepare and present statistical evaluation of product evaluation/examination data for management review. Identify and report trends detected.
- Interface effectively with cross functional partners in routine quality control matters.
- Provide, and oversee, inspection activity for product throughout production cycle.
- Interact with vendors to ensure quality of all purchased parts.
- Ensure a high level of internal and external customer service. Investigate (and correct) customer issues and complaints relating to quality.
- Supervise workers engaged in inspection and testing activities to ensure high productivity and high technical integrity.
- College degree in chemistry or life sciences, or combination of education and experience in cosmetics or related (FDA regulated) industry.
- Minimum two years directly related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong knowledge of Cosmetic Product attributes and characteristics.
- Professional competency and good organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Computer literacy (MS Office) skills required.
- Ability to work independently with minimal instructions from department head.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general technical procedures, forms, work instructions, material safety data sheets, and procedure manuals.
- Strong communication skills: ability to write routine reports and operating procedures, and effectively present ideas and findings to peers and management.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, percent, convert English/Metric units and apply concepts to practical situations.