Director, Skincare, Product Development
Product Development | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Kendo Holdings, Inc. is a San Francisco-based beauty brand developer and wholesaler owned by LVMH Moët Hennessy - Louis Vuitton, the world’s largest luxury group. A play on the words “can do”, Kendo has become the hub of creativity and next generation beauty product development for global Sephora channels and selective retailers outside of Sephora.
Through original development, collaborations and acquisitions the Kendo stable of brands will always be creative, inspiring and innovative. A dynamic engine of speed, expertise and market-savvy, the Kendo team continues to redefine the beauty industry through great product, great storytelling, great retail and direct-to-consumer partnerships. This shows up in everything we do and in what we stand for:
- ENTREPRENEURIAL SPIRIT: We seek creative ways to get things done
- PERSEVERANCE: We are moved by Winston Churchill’s words, ‘never, never, never give up’
- GENEROSITY: The power of giving
- STORYTELLING: Creating authentic stories to inspire
- QUALITY OBSESSION: Our product quality is a reflection of ourselves
- FUN: Work, life, and fun are woven of a single fabric
- ADVOCACY, DIVERSITY & INCLUSION: We believe in listening with humility and acting with courage. We recognize, seek, and celebrate the power of diversity across the full spectrum of personal identity.
The Kendo house of brands currently includes: Bite Beauty, Fenty Beauty, Fenty Skin, KVD Vegan Beauty, Marc Jacobs Beauty, Ole Henriksen.
The Director, Skincare Product Development will be responsible for driving the day-to-day skincare development process, from concept to launch. The position will be responsible for leading internal and external communication and partnerships to ensure all developmental milestones are achieved based on launch timelines. Candidates must have strong technical formula development experience, as well as strong interpersonal and project management skills. Candidates must be passionate, creative and experienced in skincare product development.
- Direct all phases of skincare formula development, testing and scale-up for the Fenty Skin and Ole Henriksen brands.
- Act as key technical lead, working with development labs/contract manufacturers to troubleshoot through development and scale-up challenges.
- Lead internal communication with cross-functional partners as it relates to product briefs, formula evaluation, copy and claims, artwork and regulatory deliverables.
- Lead day-to-day communication with external partners on technical aspects of development and scale-up.
- Maintain key relationships with contract manufacturers. Conduct onsite development when necessary.
- Evaluate formula submissions with team and management.
- Monitor and maintain on-time delivery of critical project milestones.
- Survey competitive landscape to develop best-in-class products by identifying trends and current and emerging competitors.
- Review batch and finished good retains as needed, including on-site approvals whenever necessary.
- Participate in new development brainstorms.
- Research new ingredients, textures, products and packaging to allow for greater innovation.
- Manage and mentor two skincare development teams.
- Bachelor’s degree (BS/BSc. preferred) with 10+ years in skincare formulation & product development
- Strong technical knowledge and expertise required
- Exceptional product evaluation skills
- Strong working knowledge of global regulatory and testing guidelines
- Passionate about skincare and the beauty industry
- Experience and strong relationships with domestic and international suppliers
- Experience managing and mentoring direct reports
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects through strong prioritization and planning
- Proven track record of taking ownership and driving results
- Ability to work in fast-paced, often-changing collaborative environment
- A self-starter, able to work independently and take initiative
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Demonstrate a can-do attitude, and is willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done
- Ability to think both strategically and tactically with exceptional attention to detail
- Proficient in Microsoft PowerPoint and Excel
- Domestic and international travel is required