Director of Research & Development
BITE Beauty | Toronto, Canada | Full Time
POSITION: Director of R&D
STATUS: Permanent, Full Time
REPORTS TO: Sr. Director of R&D/VP of Product Development
LOCATION: BITE Beauty Head Office – Toronto, ON
BITE Beauty was born with a singular idea – create lipstick that is remarkably different. Sourcing good-enough-to-eat ingredients, developing edible innovations, and producing every product in-house, BITE manufactures without compromise and ensures only the highest standards for colour, texture, and performance. BITE Beauty proves you don’t have to sacrifice performance for a product made from nature.
BITE Beauty is a part of Kendo Holdings, Inc.
Kendo Holdings, Inc. is a San Francisco-based beauty brand developer and wholesaler. A play on the words “can do”, Kendo has become the hub of creativity and next generation beauty product development for global Sephora channels and selective retailers outside of Sephora.
Kendo is owned by LVMH Moët Hennessy - Louis Vuitton, the world’s largest luxury group. The Kendo house of brands presently includes: Marc Jacobs Beauty, Kat Von D, Ole Henriksen, BITE, and Fenty Beauty. Through original development, collaborations and acquisitions, the Kendo stable of brands will always be creative, inspiring, and innovative.
The Director of R&D will lead in all domains of research & development for the BITE brand including its work, the people, and the lab. This role will partner with cross functional teams to cultivate multiyear pipelines and oversee the processes between R&D and manufacturing. Additionally, while managing a small lab and a team of chemists and technicians, this role will lead by example and empower creativity and innovation through leadership, mentorship, and collaboration.
The ideal candidate will be technically apt in formulation, will be a visionary leader, and possess the business acumen to effectively assess project feasibility. A passion for the industry, a proactive management approach, and a desire for ground-breaking excellence are all necessary to succeed in this role.
- Oversee and manage the R&D lab; manage and coach R&D department
- Develop formulations to drive new product lines and advance existing portfolio
- Work with cross functional teams (marketing, finance, operations, QA, and regulatory) and be accountable for formulation processes from marketing briefs to production scale up ensuring alignment with core values, budget, aesthetics, and feasibility
- Oversee project schedules for the team and ensure continuous rapport on projects and deadlines
- Ensure industry, legislative, and Company standards are being followed
- Be at the forefront with product research, new technology, ingredients, and consumer trends
- Ensure final products are never formulated with mineral oil, silicones, or synthetic ingredients
- Be involved with department hiring, training & development, and equipment procurement
- BSc/MSc degree in chemistry
- 10+ years’ experience as an R&D Director in the Cosmetics and/or Personal Care Products/Beauty Industry
- Experience Formulating Skin Care & Cosmetic Products
- Experience with New Technology and Product Development
- Experience with sourcing ingredients
- Strong department and people management experience with proven success in fostering a team spirit
- Experience with a contract manufacturing company or high volume manufacturing of new cosmetic or skin care formulations
- Office, laboratory, production floor
TO APPLY Please submit your cover letter and resume. While we wish to thank all applicants for their interest in the role, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
ACCESSIBILITY BITE Beauty welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.