Director of Quality Assurance (6 Month Contract)
BITE Beauty | Toronto, Canada | Contract
POSITION: Director of Quality Assurance
STATUS: Contract, 6 Months
REPORTS TO: VP of Operations
LOCATION: BITE Beauty Head Office – Toronto, ON
BITE Beauty was born with a singular idea – create lipstick that is remarkably different. Sourcing good-enough-to-eat ingredients, developing edible innovations, and producing every product in-house, BITE manufactures without compromise and ensures only the highest standards for colour, texture, and performance. BITE Beauty proves you don’t have to sacrifice performance for a product made from nature.
BITE Beauty is a part of Kendo Holdings, Inc.
Kendo Holdings, Inc. is a San Francisco-based beauty brand developer and wholesaler. A play on the words “can do”, Kendo has become the hub of creativity and next generation beauty product development for global Sephora channels and selective retailers outside of Sephora.
Kendo is owned by LVMH Moët Hennessy - Louis Vuitton, the world’s largest luxury group. The Kendo house of brands presently includes: Marc Jacobs Beauty, Kat Von D, Ole Henriksen, BITE, and Fenty Beauty. Through original development, collaborations and acquisitions, the Kendo stable of brands will always be creative, inspiring, and innovative.
The Director of Quality Assurance will be responsible for developing and executing a corporate quality assurance strategy for BITE’s growing retail segment, Lip Lab by BITE. This includes high-level tactical planning, development, and implementation of quality assurance policies, programs and initiatives for broader geographical retail expansion and strengthened retail QA practice.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced, strategic, and visionary leader with hands-on experience developing and delivering successful QA programs.
- Initiate and implement quality improvement activities as appropriate to raise the performance of the company’s product lines and service offerings
- Develop, implement, manage and integrate a QMS for all retail locations
- Oversee the training and education to employees as to their impact in the QMS
- Serve as the primary quality assurance resource for problem identification, resolution, loss reporting and continuous improvement for retail expansion-related processes
- Represent the Quality Assurance team to executive and senior leadership and manage stakeholders across organizations
- Design, implement, and document procedures for process control, process improvement, testing and inspection
- Establish and implement metrics (process capability, control charts, measurement quality) for monitoring system effectiveness and to enable managers to make sound product quality decisions
- Perform root-cause analysis and other problem solving activities to identify effective corrective actions and process improvements
- Analyze product specifications to establish efficient, cost-effective requirements for ease of reproducibility
- Develop quality planning methods for all retail locations
- Develop process certification standards and assist in process certification as necessary
- Monitor vendor performance and establish criteria and rating system for critical vendors.
- Manage the development of effective corrective actions for customer complaints and significant internal quality issues, manage corrective action tracking system and follow through to retail floor implementation of new practices
- Oversee calibration and testing programs
- Reports to senior leadership on quality issues, trends and losses
- Establish supplier quality requirements
- Participates in internal and external quality audits
- Other duties as assigned.
- BSc/MSc degree in relevant field
- 10+ years’ experience as a Quality Assurance Director
- Experience in the Cosmetics, Personal Care Products/Beauty Industry
- Experience in the implementation and management of QA systems
- Experience with retail roll-outs and cross-border expansion an asset
- Trained with quality audits
- Thorough knowledge of GMP, QMS requirements
- Ability to lead, delegate, and execute under extremely tight deadlines
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Strong department and people management experience
- Strong ability to effectively work with cross-functional teams at all levels of management
- Office, retail space, production floor
Please submit your cover letter and resume. While we wish to thank all applicants for their interest in the role, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
BITE Beauty welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.