Director, Marketing, US/Canada, Kat Von D Beauty
Marketing | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Kendo Holdings, Inc. is a San Francisco-based beauty brand developer and wholesaler owned by LVMH Moët Hennessy - Louis Vuitton, the world’s largest luxury group. A play on the words “can do”, Kendo has become the hub of creativity and next generation beauty product development for global Sephora channels and selective retailers outside of Sephora.
Through original development, collaborations and acquisitions the Kendo stable of brands will always be creative, inspiring and innovative. A dynamic engine of speed, expertise and market-savvy, the Kendo team continues to redefine the beauty industry through great product, great storytelling, great retail and direct-to-consumer partnerships. This shows up in everything we do and in what we stand for:
- ENTREPRENEURIAL SPIRIT: We seek creative ways to get things done
- PERSEVERANCE: We are moved by Winston Churchill’s words, ‘never, never, never give up’
- GENEROSITY: The power of giving
- STORYTELLING: Creating authentic stories to inspire
- QUALITY OBSESSION: Our product quality is a reflection of ourselves
- FUN: Work, life, and fun are woven of a single fabric
The Kendo house of brands currently includes: Bite, Kat Von D, Marc Jacobs Beauty, Ole Henriksen and Fenty Beauty.
KAT VON D BEAUTY
Kat Von D Beauty is all about unstoppable, high-performance, high-pigment vegan beauty products that empower you to unleash your inner artist. In her nonstop pursuit Kat Von D, our founder and namesake, tests and wears everything she makes -- drawing endless inspiration from her experience as an artist, tattooist, influencer, musician, female entrepreneur, and creator. Kat Von D Beauty stands for a cruelty-free and compassionate lifestyle. In the U.S. and Canada, KVDB is sold exclusively at Sephora and katvondbeauty.com. Around the world, you’ll find the brand in more than 35 countries at Sephoras and Debenhams (in the UK and Ireland).
2018 is a pivotal year. It marks our 10th anniversary. We are embarking on our biggest and most important campaigns to date; This will be a career/brand defining year. We are looking for a passionate, marketing innovator and leader to take us through our 10th anniversary and well beyond.
As a critical member of the Kat Von D Beauty Marketing Team, the US/CAN Marketing Director will be the strategic marketing lead and right-hand to the Head of Global Marketing, on all marketing initiatives. The Director will:
- Drive and develop innovative marketing campaigns across brand, retail and products
- Lead, create, present and bring to life disruptive, only Kat-can, 360-degree marketing programs to drive triple-digit business growth, awareness, new clients and trial.
- Be day-to-day for all key retail marketing partners at Sephora US, Sephora inside JCP, Sephora Canada – including dot com marketing contacts – yet be equally adept at presenting to celebrities, founders and/or c-level execs
- Love, lead, inspire, and mentor the fabulous the kat von d beauty marketing team
- Bring special expertise in public relations and advertising
- Leading and creating powerful and unique marketing insights, strategies and campaigns across all consumer touch points, with heavy emphasis on product and digital marketing
- Clearly articulating and managing marketing vision to rally troops, sell-in ideas, and drive the business
- Developing Full 360 Marketing Campaigns – brand, product, retail - for A+ launches to limited edition
- Leading, Owning, Bringing to Life Key Marketing Levers (and managing budgets for)
- Advertising - including agency, concepts, KPI etc.
- Public Relations – same as above
- Sampling and/or Subscription Boxes
- Co-Op programs with retailers
- Beauty Insider Loyalty Programs
- Events – in store and out
- Brand Partnerships/New Business Development
- Creating C-Level/Founder/Agency presentations (including presenting to) for alignment, buy in. Able to be a proxy for Head of Global Marketing.
- Providing deep expertise in digital marketing, able to identify and bring to life first-to-market programs
- Designing and delivering global marketing “Kit of Parts” for each product campaign for INTL teams (based on US plan)
- Providing Retail Marketing Leadership, thought and relationship management across on all Sephora US/CAN accounts and contacts, within and outside of marketing
- Collaborating, Inspiring, and Problem Solving for and with the KVDB marketing team including tight partnership with marketing directors in KVDB social, .com, artistry outreach and international as well as the KVDB team at large/other divisions
- Day-to-day partner, ideator, collaborator for the US/CAN brand/business/sales director and/or KVDB VP
Minimum 10 years of marketing leadership and experience in beauty, retail, brand or agency, while managing/growing a team of 5 to 10+
- Expertise must include extensive experience in public relations and advertising
- Minimum 2 years of experience as Marketing Director, or similar director-level role at brand or agency
- Minimum 4 years of experience reporting into and/working directly with c-level executives, brand founders and/or celebrities
- Previous beauty experience strongly professed
- Demonstrated experience creating innovative marketing campaigns and presenting those ideas/campaigns/strategies directly to C-level leaders, founders, artists and/or celebrities.
- Demonstrated experience in defining, articulating, developing and driving a marketing vision to team members, agencies, and retail partners at all levels.
- Prior experience in a highly collaborative and fast-paced environment, with proven ability to be a go-to-decider and mentor
- Demonstrated success in bringing new ideas to the table to grow the business and change the game, and has a massive contact list and sparkling reputation to call upon on past agencies/freelancers/brands to make our ideas and/or teams better/bigger/faster.
- Passion for beauty, the KVDB brand and beauty products and possesses special expertise in media (paid and earned) and digital marketing.
- Solid Marketing Portfolio, showcasing best-in-class marketing campaigns
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing or communications
- Proven Intellectual and Creative Horsepower
- Excellence in Communication (written, verbal, on stage, PowerPoint)
- Innovation Management, Negotiating, Political Savvy, Strategic Agility
- Sense of Humor and Good Manners
- Vegan/Cruelty-Free Friendly, especially when representing the brand in any public setting