Director, Education Content –Sephora
Education | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Kendo Holdings, Inc. is a San Francisco-based beauty brand developer and wholesaler owned by LVMH Moët Hennessy - Louis Vuitton, the world’s largest luxury group. A play on the words “can do”, Kendo has become the hub of creativity and next generation beauty product development for global Sephora channels and selective retailers outside of Sephora.
Through original development, collaborations and acquisitions the Kendo stable of brands will always be creative, inspiring and innovative. A dynamic engine of speed, expertise and market-savvy, the Kendo team continues to redefine the beauty industry through great product, great storytelling, great retail and direct-to-consumer partnerships. This shows up in everything we do and in what we stand for:
- ENTREPRENEURIAL SPIRIT: We seek creative ways to get things done
- PERSEVERANCE: We are moved by Winston Churchill’s words, ‘never, never, never give up’
- GENEROSITY: The power of giving
- STORYTELLING: Creating authentic stories to inspire
- QUALITY OBSESSION: Our product quality is a reflection of ourselves
- FUN: Work, life, and fun are woven of a single fabric
The Kendo house of brands currently includes: Bite, Kat Von D, Marc Jacobs Beauty, Ole Henriksen and Fenty Beauty.
Drives conceptualization, initiation and development of Global Education content (training materials, learning modules, education curriculum and videos) that drive education and business needs for all Kendo Brands in support of global retailerstaff, Kendo International teams and Kendo’s North America Field Sales Team.
We’re looking for a passionate education expert and strategist to lead the creation of differentiated and compelling education content that ignites passion for Kendo brands and drives sales worldwide. The Director of Education Content for Sephora will oversee content development across all Kendo brands (videos, training programs/platforms, brand/product tools, etc), deliver business objectives, brand priorities and optimize education levers at SEPHORA and global retail channels. This role requires a masterful command of adult learning concepts (i.e. experiential learning), experience building brand and product training curriculum and the ability to create impactful, fun and memorable training experiences.
This role will oversee a team of Content Development Managers that create, implement, and customize training videos, education tools and training programs for Sephora in different global markets, ensuring consistent brand and product training worldwide. This includes driving key education initiatives such as field team training curriculum, digital learning tools, brand and product training materials, facilitator’s guides and training programs. This role will drive education content strategy and development for Marc Jacobs Beauty, Kat Von D Beauty, Ole Henriksen, Bite Beauty and Fenty Beauty by Rihanna.
Content Strategy & Development
- Develop the education content strategy for all Kendo brands, establishing global consistency, market and retailer-specific content creation and streamlined delivery to international partners and field sales teams; ensure programs and formats are results-driven, engaging, fun and interactive
- Own 360 lifecycle of education content development and implementation (ideation, creation, review and delivery) – i.e. curate brand/product training content, copywriting and overseeing video production process from beginning to end
- Lead instructional design and creation to drive education content strategy - i.e. training platforms and modules, brand and product tools, technology-based trainings and digital tools, curriculum development related to core products and new product launches and instructional videos focused on artistry, product knowledge and client service
- Establish process and standards for writing creative briefs, kick off meetings, review sessions, content approval, and routing for all creative education content needs across all Kendo brands; must understand, and be able to develop productive relationships with Creative Teams and Designers
- Ideate, develop and execute education content and 360 activation plans to articulate brand and product storytelling, product innovation and hands-on, activity based training modules for retail staff and Kendo Field Sales Teams
- Strategize and ensure excellence in execution within all retailer training programs and initiatives – i.e. Sephora – SBES, Artistry Lab, CAN Colour Encore, New Store Opening trainings, SiJCP - Train The Trainer, international launch trainings and internal field sales team conferences)
Global Brand & Product Training Content
- Partner with key international partners to develop content across all Kendo brands and ensure consistency with storytelling, artistry technique, skincare application and brand messaging
- Develop strategic global education programs that translate brand insights into meaningful, on-brand education initiatives; ensure that market-specific and cultural needs are met within programs
- Ability to translate content through a global lens and “kit” training content for deployment with different international SEPHORA channels and global retailers
- Proactively work with retail education partners and Kendo’s Field Teams to conduct training needs analyses, lead ideation sessions, design innovative training programs and materials and research training methods, technologies and theories of adult learning on an ongoing basis
- Lead “train the trainer” sessions to educate KENDO Field Sales Teams on product knowledge, advanced skincare application techniques, and selling behaviors, functioning as a resource and leader, providing product and sales expertise
Leadership & Project Management
- Lead, develop and motivate a high performing team of Global Content Development Managers, responsible for branded content creation; coach the team on building project plans, tracking KPI’s, developing strategic objectives for all education materials, creative briefing and feedback
- Strong aptitude for sharing Vision & Purpose, identifying KPI’s and setting clear objectives with direct reports
- Responsible for budget management of individual programs to contribute to overall budget management of Global Education department; includes negotiating costs with vendors, reconciliation of departmental expenses and involvement in budget planning for fiscal year
- Partner with Global Education & Events team in development of Sales & Education Conferences and meetings with Kendo Field Sales Team, to include: establishing meeting priorities, agenda planning, facilitation of meeting topics
- Identify and prioritize learning needs of specific SEPHORA employee segments (Sr Artists, EDU Leads, SiJCP Beauty Educators, cast, etc) and create training solutions to enhance brand and product passion
- Ability to deliver multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities and meet competing deadlines; maintain creative and active problem solving to drive on time and quality delivery for all projects
- Bachelor’s degree and 8+ years of related business experience; a minimum of 5 years in the Beauty or Retail industry required.
- Experience with, and full understanding of, the Sephora concept is required
- Proven ability to develop and deliver effective educational programming
- Strong attention to detail when reviewing projects, briefs and copy
- Excellent project management skills, including proven ability to manage projects and partner with various levels in the organization
- Effective communicator, strong relationship-building skills and proven record of cross-functional partnerships
- Must demonstrate strong strategic, creative, interpersonal, organizational and communication skills
- Thrives in an environment that is fast-paced, rapidly changing and customer service-oriented
- Able to handle multiple priorities while meeting objectives, work well under pressure
- Proficient computer skills: InDesign, Microsoft Office Suite (PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel)
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally ~15%