Creative Director, BITE, Ole Henriksen & Marc Jacobs Beauty
Creative | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Kendo Holdings, Inc. is a San Francisco-based beauty brand developer and wholesaler owned by LVMH Moët Hennessy - Louis Vuitton, the world’s largest luxury group. A play on the words “can do”, Kendo has become the hub of creativity and next generation beauty product development for global Sephora channels and selective retailers outside of Sephora.
Through original development, collaborations and acquisitions the Kendo stable of brands will always be creative, inspiring and innovative. A dynamic engine of speed, expertise and market-savvy, the Kendo team continues to redefine the beauty industry through great product, great storytelling, great retail and direct-to-consumer partnerships. This shows up in everything we do and in what we stand for:
- ENTREPRENEURIAL SPIRIT: We seek creative ways to get things done
- PERSEVERANCE: We are moved by Winston Churchill’s words, ‘never, never, never give up’
- GENEROSITY: The power of giving
- STORYTELLING: Creating authentic stories to inspire
- QUALITY OBSESSION: Our product quality is a reflection of ourselves
- FUN: Work, life, and fun are woven of a single fabric
The Kendo house of brands currently includes: Bite, Kat Von D, Marc Jacobs Beauty, Ole Henriksen and Fenty Beauty.
The Creative Director for BITE, Ole Henriksen & Marc Jacobs Beauty is responsible for building, leading, and inspiring a design team to articulate Kendo’s brands at every touch-point (except packaging). He/she leads a team that creates all brand imagery, digital marketing, advertising, special projects, social creative, in-store animations (including renderings) and design of educational event spaces. The role requires equal parts creative direction and team leadership/management. The individual will be responsible for evolving and expressing all elements of the look and feel brands. The Creative Director will pro-actively partner with Marketing, Social, Brand Management and Brand Education teams to fulfill the needs of the business while educating and providing innovation to drive the company’s brand strategy initiatives.
- Translate the brand vision for BITE, Ole Henriksen, and Marc Jacobs Beauty and ensure consistency across channels.
- Lead both external and internal teams to develop impactful creative ideas and executions that deliver to the brand vision, including branding initiatives, new brand development, seasonal campaigns and advertising.
- Develop seasonal creative solutions for new product launches based on the brief that differentiates the brand and excites the consumer.
- Oversee and direct photo shoots.
- Demonstrate strong leadership and mentorship of team - project positivity, model collaborative behavior and develop the team to elevate and drive the brand feel.
- Build and cultivate ongoing creative resources via full time and freelance talent. Collaborate with and direct external agencies and vendors to produce campaigns and assets as needed.
- Develop and maintain design/brand standards throughout all collateral. Exceptional skills in design, typography, and branding books.
- Regularly cascade business strategy, results, direction, and rationale behind organizational decisions to team. Ensure team goals are aligned with company strategy.
- Responsibilities may also include: assisting Senior Leadership team with business presentations, creation of logos, mood boards, and manipulation of references for presentation purposes.
- Attend all key marketing, cross-functional, and organizational meetings as a representative of the creative team.
- Capable of meeting the deadlines of many projects run in parallel in a fast-paced environment while adhering to review and approval processes.
- Comfortable implementing feedback in a timely fashion.
- At least 10 years senior level experience in art direction and design in fashion and/or beauty retail or advertising agency environment. Experience working with agency creative teams a plus.
- 7-10 years’ experience managing teams.
- Extraordinary collaborative and leadership skills.
- Expertise in digital and social.
- Strong sense of typography and design essential.
- Deep familiarity with beauty trends and brands.
- Photo art direction experience with an emphasis on beauty or fashion.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and time management skills.
- Strong attention to detail with an ability to communicate clearly and concisely.
- Strong multitasking abilities, highly flexible.
- Travel for photo shoots.
- Ability to maintain a high standard of design and productivity in a fast-paced work environment.
- High proficiency in Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign and Bridge. Knowledge of Adobe Premiere and/or Adobe After Effects is a big plus but not required.
- BA Graphic Design or related field.