Finance | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Kendo Holdings, Inc. is a San Francisco-based beauty brand developer and wholesaler owned by LVMH Moët Hennessy - Louis Vuitton, the world’s largest luxury group. A play on the words “can do”, Kendo has become the hub of creativity and next generation beauty product development for global Sephora channels and selective retailers outside of Sephora.
Through original development, collaborations and acquisitions the Kendo stable of brands will always be creative, inspiring and innovative. A dynamic engine of speed, expertise and market-savvy, the Kendo team continues to redefine the beauty industry through great product, great storytelling, great retail and direct-to-consumer partnerships. This shows up in everything we do and in what we stand for:
- ENTREPRENEURIAL SPIRIT: We seek creative ways to get things done
- PERSEVERANCE: We are moved by Winston Churchill’s words, ‘never, never, never give up’
- GENEROSITY: The power of giving
- STORYTELLING: Creating authentic stories to inspire
- QUALITY OBSESSION: Our product quality is a reflection of ourselves
- FUN: Work, life, and fun are woven of a single fabric
The Kendo house of brands currently includes: Bite, Kat Von D, Marc Jacobs Beauty, Ole Henriksen and Fenty Beauty.
This role provides the connective tissue between our budget and actual performance, by leading reporting and delivering insights that link past results with future predictability. Your primary accountabilities are the monthly P+L, Balance Sheet and Cash Flow but you will be engaged with leaders across all functions to help share insights and “land the plane” each year on or ahead of our Budget. Drive growth and profitability across the business by sharing learnings & highlighting opportunities by brand, channel, functional area, and the company as a whole. Oversee and build process to streamline transaction reporting. Partner with ERP to automate and improve access to data. Serve as primary point of contact for all reporting and tax partners (LVMH tax and controlling) in a manner consistent with the collaborative environment we work in. Be the caretaker of the company's assets, overseeing capital investments and cash to ensure efficiency and productivity of working capital. Build and lead a team that is talented, collaborative and reflective of the Can-Do spirit of Kendo.
- Working closely with the CEO, SVP/CFO and VP Finance, drive the process to create Kendo's annual budget and 2X/yearly forecasts. Improve the process after each year to ensure all stakeholders understand the process and results.
- Oversee the monthly/quarterly schedule of reporting to LVMH via Syrus and ensure timely and accurate reporting.
- Drive the 5-day month-end close process. Maintain checklists to ensure consistent and accurate reporting. Generate insights re: material variances from Budget or Forecast and be able to summarize monthly activity in excel reports. As part of the monthly close, manage the "upsides and risks" list, keeping it up-to-date after each close as a way to signal material trends and variances vs. annual goals, and keep our fingers on the pulse.
- Manage Working Capital: Review the A/P and A/R agings at month-end and support the team working to improve DWC by escalating concerns to customers and vendors as needed. Partner with the VP Finance to report on Inventory balances and ensure we hit our cash & inventory targets at year-end.
- People leadership: ability to recruit and inspire a team, develop skills and collaboratively drive results whether from direct reports or partners. Current staff is 15.
- Own the CapEx plan and provide periodic tracking/commentary re: usage of capital.
- Cross-functional reporting and expense management: Partner with the VP Finance to maintain quarterly P&Ls at brand and channel level. Oversee monthly budget-to-actual reporting for all department heads and ensure understanding and adherence to targets.
- Systems and Internal controls: Master our internal systems and reporting tools and oversee the controls for those systems. Ensure alignment with LVMH P&C Division controls. Oversee the annual audit of some of our entities.
- Tax: LVMH-NY tax team leads the work, but you will be the primary point of contact for ensuring they are aware of changes coming to the business, and that our tax accruals and accounting aligns with their guidance.
- Partner reporting: Kendo operates its 5 brands as separate entities under one holding company. Two of them are partnerships—you will oversee the quarterly reporting for the partnerships and ensure tax and cash distributions are made timely.
- Entrepreneurial approach to growth: Routinely develop new or improved processes to support financial controls and reporting speed. Model a “learning culture” where we celebrate successes, learn from mistakes and generate continuous improvement as the business matures.
- Additional ad hoc projects/analysis as needed.
- Progressive finance or accounting leadership experience (15+ years) required. Industry experience in beauty or other consumer packaged goods/wholesale preferred.
- Experience in a global business with multiple entities and currencies.
- 4-year degree (business-related discipline preferred); CPA desirable.
- Strong business acumen. Ability to analyze detailed level of data while able to step back and think strategically
- Willingness to approach projects with a can-do attitude and create reasonable process where none exists
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and stay focused/calm
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to organize, manage multiple projects and to meet deadlines
- Passion (yes, passion!) for data mining and figuring out how to sort through details to tell a clear, simple story.
- Proficiency in Excel required; Microsoft Dynamics AX and SyRus desired (can train)
- Ability to maintain positive working relationships with all Kendo staff and our colleagues in related companies, and promote a professional and fun work environment.