Art Director, Packaging Design, Fenty Beauty
Packaging | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
Kendo Holdings, Inc. is a San Francisco-based beauty brand developer and wholesaler owned by LVMH Moët Hennessy - Louis Vuitton, the world’s largest luxury group. A play on the words “can do”, Kendo has become the hub of creativity and next generation beauty product development for global Sephora channels and selective retailers outside of Sephora.
Through original development, collaborations and acquisitions the Kendo stable of brands will always be creative, inspiring and innovative. A dynamic engine of speed, expertise and market-savvy, the Kendo team continues to redefine the beauty industry through great product, great storytelling, great retail and direct-to-consumer partnerships. This shows up in everything we do and in what we stand for:
- ENTREPRENEURIAL SPIRIT: We seek creative ways to get things done
- PERSEVERANCE: We are moved by Winston Churchill’s words, ‘never, never, never give up’
- GENEROSITY: The power of giving
- STORYTELLING: Creating authentic stories to inspire
- QUALITY OBSESSION: Our product quality is a reflection of ourselves
- FUN: Work, life, and fun are woven of a single fabric
- ADVOCACY, DIVERSITY & INCLUSION: We believe in listening with humility and acting with courage. We recognize, seek, and celebrate the power of diversity across the full spectrum of personal identity.
The Kendo house of brands currently includes: Bite Beauty, Fenty Beauty, Fenty Skin, KVD Vegan Beauty, Marc Jacobs Beauty, Ole Henriksen.
The Art Director is responsible for creating sustainable, inspiring and innovative package design for Fenty Beauty. This position is key to demonstrate creative vision, translate, evolve and own brand packaging by bringing concepts to life and tell a story through design.
- Produce high-level, on strategy creative solutions that meet Kendo standards of creative excellence
- Develop original ideas and concepts that answer product briefs through multiple design solutions with consistency of being on target with objectives and brand strategy
- Review proposed designs with Design Director and VP of Packaging prior to sharing with cross-functional teams to ensure design aesthetics and requirements are met
- Drive the execution of product branding by developing and managing consistent product and packaging codes across core products, line extensions, seasonal campaigns and promotions
- Drive package design development for upcoming programs/launches on designated brands
- Partner with product development and packaging teams to achieve the highest level of quality for each project- understanding limitations due to timing, costs, etc.
- Own presentation of packaging designs to cross-functional team, including development/completion of 3D renderings and comps
- Own the translation of approved master creative compositions and lay outs into the various sizes and formats needed for products while maintaining the original creative intent and specs (including dies, bleed, trim, type safety, resolution, color mode); effectively manage files to ensure accessibility for print specs
- Act as the liaison with Senior Production Artist to ensure artwork is delivered accurately and on-time
- 8+ years of overall experience in the beauty or fashion industry, packaging design experience required
- BA Degree in Design, Arts, and/or Graphic Design
- Passion for graphic design and beauty
- Driven and creative individual with experience developing innovative package design in a fast-paced environment
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to meet tight timelines, manage multiple projects and work productively in a team environment are required
- Very strong organizational skills
- Ability to give and take creative direction
- Experience in creating presentations boards from materials to concepts
- Advanced/Expert Apple computer skills in Adobe Creative Cloud Suite, with a specialty within Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign