Product | Boston, MA | Full Time
Jana wants to make the internet free for the next billion. Through Jana's mCent Browser app, our users earn free data for their ordinary everyday browsing. Free Internet connectivity is made possible through partnerships with 311 mobile operators across the globe. Over 30 million users of Jana apps and hundreds of clients, including Amazon, Machine Zone, and Recarga have benefited from 4.0 billion megabytes of app usage driven by Jana’s platform.
Besides that, we feature a host of perks, both "traditional" (health insurance, 401K, etc.) and "startup"-type (too many to list, but trust us, you'll love them.) You'd have a blast here, while learning and growing professionally, and making the world a better place for billions of people.
Jana is seeking an experienced Product Designer to join our design team and deliver amazing experiences for mCent Browser users. The role will own the user experience for a significant portion of the app and be a leader helping the team elevate our designs to greater usability, elegance, and consistency.
The ideal candidate will be comfortable with identifying user problems (through data, interview, in-market research, etc.), ideating solutions, developing and testing design concepts and collaborating with engineers and product managers to bring them to life.
We have users in 8 countries around the world, with different cultures and reference points. If you're curious about designing world-class products and experiences for them, we should talk.
Please include a URL to an online portfolio in addition to your resume. Submissions without a portfolio included will not be considered.
- Be the voice of our users - be genuinely curious and seek to build (in yourself and your teammates) empathy for users who lead very different lives from our own
- Conceive and design new features for our mobile app as part of an integrated design, engineering, and product team
- Produce prototypes and assist in user testing to surface user needs, uncover cultural assumptions, and identify successful concepts
- Use judgment to balance quality with speed, and learning with results
- Iterate quickly to deliver high-quality, implementable UI designs to engineers that our users will love
- Apply standard research approaches such as user interviews, usability tests, surveys, etc. to understand user needs
- 4-7 experience designing software with at least 3 years of mobile app experience
- Experience designing for Android (We’re an Android shop.)
- A humble passion for real-world, multicultural, global mobile product design. Our users are not the typical TechCrunch readers.
- Expertise in Sketch or Adobe Creative Suite
- Ability to create wireframes, user flows, test-ready prototypes, and mock-ups (We heavily use Sketch and InVision)
- Be adaptable, self-starting, and collaborative - designers at Jana have a lot of autonomy (and responsibility) for getting the job done
- Ability and willingness to travel occasionally to emerging markets to assist in research
- 4-year degree in design, hci or related discipline
- Consumer brand experience in emerging markets