Internal Application: Lead Software Engineer
Engineering | Boston, MA | Full Time
Jana enables free apps to be truly free in emerging markets.
Through Jana's mCent platform, our users discover and try a world of new apps without incurring any data charges. Free Internet connectivity is made possible through partnerships with 311 mobile operators.
Over 30 million users of the mCent platform and hundreds of clients, including Amazon, Machine Zone, and Recarga have benefited from 4.0 billion megabytes of app usage driven by Jana’s platform.
Besides that, we feature a host of perks, both "traditional" (health insurance, 401K, etc.) and "startup"-type (too many to list, but trust us, you'll love them.) You'd have a blast here, while learning and growing professionally, and making the world a better place for billions of people.
Jana is looking for talented full-stack developers to help both build our cutting-edge platform and lead our engineering team. We are seeking experienced engineers who have both an interest in cutting-edge technology in mobile apps, web development, server-side / API development, analytics on a large (and rapidly growing) amount of data, and the people/teams that make it all happen.
- Design, code and test scalable software using Python and/or Java. This is not a pure management role, it's hands-on.
- Work as part of a team in an agile environment, where rapid learning, iteration, and continuous delivery are a big part of our system.
- Architect, design, build, test, deploy, and support scalable APIs to interact with our mobile app and web clients
- Work with product managers to design experiments (A/B and split tests), run experiments, and analyze them for results
- Help hire, mentor, and develop your teammates
- Passion for software development
- Ability to quickly turn around features as part of a team
- Interest in interacting with people from other cultures – users of our platform all live in the developing world
- Ability to both learn from and teach other engineers, designers, product managers, and other teammates
- People skills: ability to listen and be supportive of others, helping to create a collaborative environment
- 5+ years software development
- Experience across the entire stack from the front-end user interface (UI) to the back-end and analytics, including operations
- Experience with Python and/or Java, or very strong in at least two other modern programming languages
- Demonstrable analytic ability
- Deep familiarity with an emerging market country: have you lived or worked abroad?