Director of Ad Operations
Product | Boston, MA | Full Time
Jana is the largest provider of free internet in emerging markets. Through Jana’s mCent Browser, the next billion smartphone users are coming online without incurring data charges. Jana makes all mobile content freely accessible and discoverable through technology integrated into the billing systems of 311 mobile operators and available to 4.56 billion mobile subscribers. Today, Jana has provided over 40 million emerging market users with free, ad-sponsored internet access.
Besides that, we feature a host of perks, both "traditional" (health insurance, 401K, etc.) and "startup"-type (too many to list, but trust us, you'll love them.) You'd have a blast here, while learning and growing professionally, and working toward providing free internet to 1 billion people.
- Operating Jana's display, video, and native ad stack to deliver all of our potential ad revenue
- Define process for creating, changing, and tracking ad placements, targeting, etc. and measuring resulting performance changes
- Build Ad Operations team as revenue grows
- Perform daily reviews of Jana's digital advertising performance across multiple vendors, reviewing anomalies with Product and Engineering teams.
- Drive and track changes in yield optimization and ad performance (CTR, CPM, CPI, etc.) across multiple channels (display, video, search), vendors, placements, campaign types, and markets
- Optimize Jana's ad placements and waterfalls for revenue, user retention, fill rate, latency, and buy-side KPIs like viewability and complete rates, experimenting with different floors, targeting, pricing models, demand-side vendors, and mediation partners
- Work with Data Science teams to identify fraudulent traffic and traffic sources
- Work with Product and Engineering teams to build appropriate reporting systems for tracking ad performance
- Test the ad quality of Jana's mobile applications, identifying ads that violate our or our partners' terms of service. Track how bad ads are served, and block them.
- Work with Product and Engineering to integrate Jana systems with new ad technology partners (exchanges, ad servers, etc); work with BD and Product teams to assess potential partners
- Work with Product team to identify new revenue opportunities (such as new ad channels gaining traction in the marketplace, potential targeting offerings)
- Work with Product and Sales to define ad pricing and revenue projections
- Participate in quarterly business reviews with vendors
- Prospect for new customer and partner opportunities by looking at exchange bid reports
- 2+ years experience operating ad server waterfalls, optimizing for a variety of: yield; fill; latency; customer KPIs, using an ad server like DoubleClick for Publishers, MoPub, AppNexus etc.
- Familiar with major ad DSPs, exchanges, DMPs, attribution vendors, etc.
- Proficient in Excel/Google Sheets; capable of pulling raw data from multiple vendors, and summarizing and visualizing it for digestion by various technical and non-technical audiences
- Familiar with industry-standard metrics for display and video advertising (CPI, complete rate, etc.)
- Strong data analysis skills
- Experience with traffic quality and ad quality monitoring tools and metrics
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize tasks and manage time independently to drive maximum revenue
- Experience using a proxy server (Charles, etc.) to analyze mobile device traffic
- Good understanding of video standards like VAST and VPAID
- Knowledge of SQL