Editorial | Memphis, TN | Full Time
High Ground News, a Memphis-based publication of Issue Media Group, seeks a section editor for On The Ground, an embedded journalism program based in various Memphis neighborhoods.
The On The Ground editor will be responsible for sourcing and writing weekly articles as well as managing the production of photo essays and videos in collaboration with High Ground News’ managing editor. They will meet regularly with neighborhood residents and build connections with community leaders and organizations in partnership with High Ground News’ engagement manager.
The On The Ground editor will be responsible for sourcing and writing excellent content that reflects Issue Media Group’s priorities of solutions-based journalism and deeply embedded community engagement.
The editor will fulfill four-month terms of embedded engagement in a Memphis neighborhood. During that time, they will engage directly with residents and write articles about the current neighborhood while also researching and writing about previously featured On The Ground neighborhoods. At the end of the four months, the On The Ground editor will begin an embedded engagement in a new featured neighborhood.
Past neighborhoods include Soulsville, Frayser, Binghampton, Klondike/Smokey City, Orange Mound, Whitehaven, South City, Uptown/The Pinch. Knowledge or lived experience in any of these neighborhoods is desired.
The On The Ground editor will act as a liaison to Issue Media Group and these neighborhood partners.
The On The Ground editor is required to center the voices of residents through community engagement and write about how Memphis neighborhoods are responding to challenges in a way that creates positive and lasting change.
The project editor should have the following experiences and responsibilities:
- Strong skills as a journalist in researching, writing, editing and building relationships.
- Develop an editorial framework and schedule for online news content
- Familiarity with various Content Management Systems
- Manage freelance writers
- Work closely with the managing editor to ensure content is promoted effectively and in a timely manner
- Work closely with the community engagement manager and people living in the neighborhood. They will be expected to approach the project with a focus on creating positive, lasting change within an area by involving members of the community and producing a narrative that reflects the experiences of residents.
- Ensure full awareness of the different parts of the budget for any project, monitoring costs throughout the duration of the project, informing the managing of any budgetary problems, recording all details relevant to the accurate costing and invoicing of a project
- Prepare accurate invoices for projects for approval
- Collaborate with a photographer for the program
- Collaborate with a videographer for the program
In addition, the On The Ground editor will work closely with the engagement manager and managing editor on other On The Ground programs with responsibilities including:
- Attend neighborhood events and hold regular, in-person office hours
- Stay abreast of ongoing developments and initiatives across multiple Memphis neighborhoods
- Assist with the organization of a tour or event in each neighborhood
- Coordinate with local team to create and promote a finale event
- Attend a variety of neighborhood meetings and events
- Organize and convene neighborhood editorial advisories