Marketing & Communications | Orlando, FL | Full Time
The Managing Editor is responsible for the production management of IAAPA’s Funworld magazine and the IAAPA Attractions Expo Trade Show Daily. He or she also works closely with the Editor-in-Chief to develop all editorial content for both publications.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop story ideas and determine editorial content for Funworld.
- Write, edit, rewrite, and fact-check articles and other editorial content for the publications as needed.
- Write and/or oversee all Association-related content for Funworld.
- Manage the monthly production process for Funworld, including:
- Find and hire freelance writers/photographers
- Review story pitches, assign stories, review submitted stories, rewrite articles, and edit content.
- Negotiate contracts for freelance writers, designers, and photographers.
- Manage monthly workflow (internally and with outside vendors, including the Production Manager), for content and art to ensure all production deadlines are met.
- Work with advertising sales team to ensure all ad-related deadlines are met and advertisements are placed correctly.
- Oversee the assignment of contracts to outside writers
- Oversee budgeting and expense tracking for all production-related items
- Assist the Editor-in-Chief in developing the expense budgets for the publications.
- Assist the Editor-in-Chief in managing all aspects of the editorial and production processes for the IAAPA Attractions Expo Show Daily.
- Monitor industry media coverage to understand trends and developments. Use that knowledge to guide editorial decisions for publications.
- Attend and provide support for IAAPA Attractions Expo, and other Association events, activities, and programs as needed.
- Attend and cover attractions industry-related events as needed.
- Maintain relationships with internal Association stakeholders to ensure all IAAPA-related content is properly and effectively published in Funworld.
- Edit other Association publications as needed.
Qualification, Knowledge, Skill Required (Minimum education and experience needed to perform the job adequately):
- College degree in journalism, communications, English, or related field.
- Five (5) years’ experience in publishing.
- Superior organization and time-management skills.
- Strong writing and reporting skills including knowledge of AP Style.
- Excellent editor with strong grasp of grammar.
- Experience working with/managing publication expenses.
- Association and/or attractions industry experience preferred.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally as needed.
- Efficiency on a Mac platform a plus.