Manager, Conference and Trade Show Operations
IAAPA Asia Pacific | Hong Kong, Hong Kong, SAR, China | Full Time
Overall Responsibilities (Short summary of the role):
Manage trade show logistics and operations for IAAPA Expo Asia, the leading event in the Asia-Pacific region for the amusement park and attractions industry, and assist in the planning and execution of other IAAPA events.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage key vendors for Expo Operations and events in Asia-Pacific region.
- Work on strategy and financial planning for IAAPA Expo Asia. Make recommendations for budget planning process.
- Work with US-based exhibitions team (operations, conferences/meetings, special events and sales) to provide internal and external customer service and event execution, as well as be an integral part of the team in the Asia-Pacific office.
- Work with regional Convention Centers/facilities to facilitate event operations and optimize results for IAAPA.
- Source new facilities and make suggestions on best location for IAAPA Expo Asia rotation planning according to IAAPA requirements and Board of Director suggestions.
- Be alert and look for opportunities of funding from government entities where the IAAPA Expo Asia is held. Discuss with Vice President on strategy on government negotiations.
- Assist IAAPA with creation and review of Chinese translation for operations communications, as needed.
- Establish/maintain relationships with contacts at prospective destinations and venues for upcoming IAAPA events, conferences or meetings in Asia-Pacific region.
- Assist in the process for meetings and event service provider RFP, bid solicitation, evaluation, selection and contract negotiation in conjunction with IAAPA senior management.
- Serve as primary point of contact and IAAPA representative for vendors including but not limited to: convention centers, official service contractors, freight forwarder/customs broker, DMCs, AV and technology service providers, registration services provider and general service contractors.
- Leverage multi-year relationships with facilities and vendors where applicable, including with global sales representatives of properties/facilities.
- Local contact for government officials and approvals for bringing equipments on the show floor
- Gather/review/approve relevant documents/submissions for IAAPA Expo Asia and events in Asia-Pacific region.
- Assist with management of the ambassador team.
- Serve as liaison with volunteer committees as assigned. Assign expo operations tasks to all staff for on-site management of events, and train staff on responsibilities/fulfillment.
- Assist with operational aspects of the trade shows in Europe and the U.S., both pre-show and on-site as needed
- Facilitate the participation (as exhibitor) in other regional industry events.
- Attend industry events related to Expo and Conventions to improve knowledge and connections in the industry.
Qualification, Knowledge, Skill Required:
- College degree in business or equivalent experience.
- Proficiency in English and Chinese, both written and oral.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office. iMIS and a2z exhibition management software knowledge preferred but not required.
- 8-10 years in exhibition/events management, preferably in non-profit (trade association), PMP, CEM designation and international experience preferred.
- Professional demeanor.
- Must be extremely detail-oriented and able to balance several projects at once.
- Keen ability to prioritize, meet strict deadlines, and make productive use of time under pressure
- Ability to anticipate problems and opportunities and the initiative to follow through quickly and independently.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be able to adapt to all personality types and variety of subject matter.
- Willingness to travel.
- Ability to work weekends and after hours during busy conference times.
- Physical requirement include ability to travel, walk and stand for long period of time, stoop, drive, lift at least 45 pounds and willingness to perform manual labor specific to job (i.e. packing boxes, carrying signage, hail taxicabs, move tables and chairs etc.).