Director, Global Publishing and Content
Marketing & Communications | Orlando, FL | Full Time
Overall Responsibilities: The Director, Global Publishing and Content is responsible for the strategy, editorial content, production, and vendor relationships for IAAPA’s signature content delivery outlets including IAAPA’s monthly magazine Funworld, the IAAPA Attractions Expo Trade Show Daily, the IAAPA Annual Report, and IAAPA.org. In the future, this position may play a role in overseeing the content and production for IAAPA’s Conference and Trade Show Programs, IAAPA News Flash, an online news hub, and member newsletters, and assist in the editing of IAAPA’s research reports, manuals, and other member products.
- Oversee editorial direction, content strategy, and quality control for IAAPA’s global publications. Manage a team of staff, freelance writers, photographers, videographers, and designers, and vendors who produce Funworld magazine and other association publications.
- Write, review, and edit, content. Provide guidance on rewrites or reject content as necessary.
- Work closely with in-house editorial and ad sales team to identify stories, trends, and possible sales leads. Support the advertising marketing strategy (e-blasts, mail merges, media kit, etc.) as needed.
- Create and manage publications-related expenses.
- Manage art, graphics, photography, and video content for publications.
- Monitor industry media coverage to understand trends and developments. Use that knowledge to guide editorial decisions for all publications.
- Maintain regular contact with IAAPA members and committees through in-person meetings or conference calls to develop content and solicit feedback. Use that information to continuously improve and enhance all publications.
- Edit, write, or provide editorial guidance and quality control for other communications of the Association as needed.
- Research and attend industry and professional events as needed to maintain current knowledge of the publishing profession.
- Hire, train, supervise, and evaluate the managing editor, manager of digital content and strategy, and the associate editor.
- Maintain and update the IAAPA style guide and serve as the champion of quality standards for all association publications.
- Work closely with chairman of the board, president, and other IAAPA executives and stakeholders to produce executive communications as needed.
- Serve as staff liaison for the IAAPA Hall of Fame Committee.
- College degree in journalism, communications, English, or related field
- 10+ years’ experience as a successful editor for a regularly published professional journal, magazine, newsletter, newspaper, or online news source.
- Experience managing multi-channel communications strategy for print and digital.
- International communications experience preferred.
- Excellent written communicator and strong editing skills including fluent knowledge of AP Style.
- Able to establish detailed production timelines and manage workflow to meet deadlines.
- Understanding of ad sales and marketing techniques and trends.
- Proficiency using the Mac platform required.
- Fluency in Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel helpful.
- Ability to manage multiple, diverse projects at one time is essential.
- Domestic and international travel as needed.