Commercial Insurance Underwriter (Casualty)
Underwriting | Chicago, IL | Full Time
Insureon is transforming the insurance industry through innovative distribution strategies, best-in-breed technology, and an unwavering commitment to serving our customers. We’ve become one of the most prominent companies in the Insurtech revolution by challenging conventional thinking and finding unconventional solutions to the industry’s problems. Our efforts have gotten attention, too – we’ve received awards from Entrepreneur Magazine (30th best privately owned company in 2016), Inc. Magazine (named one of the fastest-growing companies in 2014 and 2015), Insurance Journal (one of the Top 100 Property & Casualty Agencies in 2014, 2015, and 2016), Lexus Nexus (Most Innovative Insurtech award in 2017), and Crain’s Fast 50 in 2017.
- Manage a book of business by analyzing the portfolio, identifying areas of opportunity for improved growth, profit and diversification, and executing marketing plans to increase market share with preferred brokers.
- Documents files in a way that reflects a solid thought process, decision making, and ownership of the account, through comprehensive account reviews, sign-offs and referrals when necessary.
- Grow assigned book of business by writing new accounts and successfully retaining renewal book as part of portfolio strategy.
- Formally and informally guides, mentors, and coaches underwriters in both technical and professional skills.
- Participates in continuous improvement by fully engaging in daily huddles, generating suggestions, following appropriate procedures and work principles, participating in problem solving activities, and using continuous improvement tools to support the work of the team.
- Produce an underwriting profit through the effective development and maintenance of quality business consistent with the overall business plan objectives, under general direction and within specific authority grant.
- Accept or reject new business and continually develop renewal business in accordance with the company's underwriting practices.
- Evaluate new business opportunities and renewals and makes profitable, individual risk judgments based on thorough understanding of carriers underwriting philosophies and guidelines.
- Demonstrate skills in risk analysis, negotiation, and proposing terms and pricing to procure a profitable book of commercial lines business.
- Effectively manage the priority of work and processing within the underwriting territory to provide excellent service to our agents, and meet company financial objectives.
- Recommend processing and workflow improvements.
- Minimum of 2 years of carrier underwriting experience or equivalent, in small commercial casualty.
- Demonstrate the ability to interpret and analyze and make informed, calculated decisions on risks.
- Strong computer skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and written/oral communication skills.
- Strong problem solving skills, attention to detail, reasoning and decision making.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks while meeting established goals and deadlines.
- Experience in non-admitted product process and administration.
- Some Professional Underwriting experience is a plus.