Accounting | Chicago, IL | Full Time
A pioneer in insurance technology, Insureon operates the largest online insurance marketplace for small businesses in the U.S. Our proprietary technology platform enables business owners to easily compare and purchase the insurance they need. We also license this platform to select industry participants who are looking to more effectively service their own clients. We are integrated with every major U.S. carrier, manage over ~$400M in premium annually and are licensed in all 50 states. For more information, visit http://www.insureon.com.
The company employs approximately 150 people nationally, with its corporate location in the heart of the financial district in the Chicago Loop.
We place a high value on having fun at work, personal and company integrity and teamwork, and we believe our success is truly a team sport. We foster a service mentality inside and outside our company and our fast-paced team is driven by results and is energetic about servicing our clients.
We are looking for an Accounting Manager to join us in our Chicago office, As a member of our Accounting team reporting to the Controler, this role will support Insureon’s operations and manage the accounts payable, accounts receivable, and monthly close functions. This position requires a hands-on approach without losing sight of the bigger picture.
This role is based in our Chicago headquarters. While our company is currently working from home due to Covid-19, the position is classified as an essential worker which requires periodic work to be performed in the Chicago office.
What you will do
- Manage the day-to-day functional accounting activities. Ensuring complete, accurate and timely deliverables in accordance with procedures, policy guidance and applicable regulations.
- Prepare, oversee and perform weekly/monthly/quarterly reporting and financial statements.
- Oversee and perform Fixed Assets (FA) accounting tasks
- Provide assistance with annual audit and reporting requirements for Payroll, Benefits and FA
- Assists Controller in the development and continuous improvements of effective workflows with all functional areas. This includes ensuring appropriate documentation; controls and performance, customer service (internal and external) and regulatory standards are understood and adhered to by internal staff and stakeholders.
- Act as a liaison between internal and external stakeholders, responsible for monitoring performance and quality metrics, proactively resolving issues before they arise and managing escalations.
- Partners with the Controller in hiring, developing, and evaluating accounting team members. Ensures that the team understands and supports their individual role and management’s role in the corporate performance and development processes.
What you will bring
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- 5+ years of experience in progressive general accounting
- 2 – 3 years supervisory experience
- CPA preferred
- Thorough knowledge of general accounting including the application of related theory.
- Familiarity with US GAAP, familiarity with statutory accounting principles
- Advanced use of Excel
You probably have
- Your CPA
- Strong organizational abilities with a high level of written and interpersonal communications skills in order to communicate effectively with various levels of management and staff personnel.
- Experience with software for accounting and financial operations
- Successful track record working and building effective relationships in a multi-site, multi-function environment with the complexities of meeting the diverse needs of multiple business lines.
- Problem analysis and problem resolution at both a strategic and functional level.
- Experience working in insurance
The following traits are important to us and will help you be successful in this role:
- Ability to multi-task, work well under pressure and perform in a fast-paced environment.
- Good judgment, collaboration and teamwork, strategic agility, decision-making, building and leading teams.
Notice: Insureon does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.