Internal Application: Solutions Engineer
Technical Services | Palo Alto, CA | Full Time
Instart Logic - A radical new approach to application delivery
Instart Logic makes application delivery fast, secure and easy. Instart Logic’s end-to-end platform combines machine learning for performance and security with a content delivery network (CDN) for application delivery, and is designed for DevOps and mobile-first applications. Using Instart Logic, organizations can provide ultra-fast, visually immersive and secure experiences on any device to maximize revenue, deliver superior customer experiences and gain competitive advantage. Instart Logic is funded by Andreessen Horowitz, Four Rivers Group, Geodesic Capital, Greylock Partners, Hermes Growth Partners, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, Sutter Hill Ventures, Telstra Ventures, Tenaya Capital, Wing Venture Capital and several notable Silicon Valley angel investors.
The Solutions Engineer is the primary technical point of contact with customers and prospects and is accountable for all pre and post sales technical activity to ensure customer success and satisfaction.
At Instart Logic, the Solutions Engineer is the technical side of the Sales team and an expert in the field. The Solutions Engineer is responsible for educating customers, understanding their business and technical issues, and developing innovative solutions. In addition to strong technical ability, they must have strong communication skills for customer presentations, industry events and providing a feedback loop to Product Management.
The Solutions Engineer will focus on site evaluation, configuration development, testing, uncovering customer requirements, and capturing data that compares our service over a prospect's current solutions. You must possess a good understanding of common web and application architectures. This position requires technical skills, expertise with various web publishing environments and web performance tools, and documentation experience. Successful candidates must be action-oriented, capable of independently solving complex technical problems, and be able to communicate clearly and effectively to both the Sales and Engineering teams
- Analyze customer web application for potential opportunities to demonstrate our solution’s unique capabilities
- Work independently to evaluate prospective customers' web architecture and deliver the appropriate evaluation, delivering reports on improvements using the Instart Logic service
- Gather customer business and technical requirements, create and deploy configurations based on requirements, package and deliver reporting
- Accountable for customer onboarding/implementations. This includes creating, testing, optimizing and deploying customer configurations based on customer requirements.
- Work closely with internal groups (Product, Engineering, Operations) to resolve technical issues that arise during customer testing and evaluation of Instart Logic’s service
- Advanced usage of performance testing tools such as Webpagetest and Catchpoint to conduct benchmark tests, trials/proof of concepts, and customer presentations
- Participate in internal projects that help scale the group, implement best practices, and improve our methodology and quality of performance testing
- Work in a consultative capacity with prospects and clients to identify and implement solutions using the Instart Logic service(s)
- Produce cohesive and articulate documentation in the form of test plans, solution definition, and performance evaluation reports
- Work closely with sales and support team members to provide excellent customer service in supporting the ongoing customer relationship and initial implementation transition process
- 3-5 years experience as a Solutions Architect or Pre-sales engineer
- Strong understanding of technologies that make the internet work (BGP, Anycast, HTTP, DNS, TCP/IP, SSL)
- 3-4 years experience with web architectures (web/app/db), caching systems, distributed cloud based systems and/or content delivery networks
- 1-2 years experience with web performance and analytics tools (examples: Google Analytics, Web Page Test, Catchpoint, Dynatrace, New Relic, SOASTA, Pingdom)
- 3-4 years experience with HTTP and network debugging tools (examples: Fiddler, Live headers, Firebug, Wireshark, Traceroute, ping, curl)
- 1-2 years experience statistical data analysis (95th percentile, median, averages, geometric mean, CDF, histogram)
- 2-3 years experience working directly with external customers as a subject matter expert in a consulting or support capacity
- Experience in content delivery, web performance or application performance industry a plus
- Must be proficient in at least one scripting language (e.g., JS, Python, Shell)
- Intimate familiarity with Linux platform and command line utilities
- Knowledge of Lua and Nginx
- Expertise with web browsers and mobile devices
- Knowledge of different CMS system architecture (e.g. Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal,etc.)
- Experience with network security assessment and enablement a plus
- Experience with RUM testing and W3C performance metrics a plus
- Masters in Computer Science (or equivalent)