Director of Sales Development
Marketing | Palo Alto, CA | Full Time
As one of the hottest late stage IPO candidates in the valley, Instart Logic is looking for an experienced sales development executive to join our team and to help drive our already substantial growth.
Our firm has built an amazing platform that hundreds of leading large enterprises around the world are using to drive the performance, consumer experience and security of their cloud, web and mobile applications. Ecommerce companies will enjoy 5-8% higher revenue after deploying our platform. Digital advertisers will see 3-12% higher revenue. Cloud and mobile applications for the Global 2000 will run 20% to 80% faster, look better and be safer. Our market opportunity is easily in the billions.
Our director of sales development will have broad responsibility to build and lead a world-class sales development team, with primary responsibility for driving pipeline for our global sales force. Sales development led pipeline generation at Instart spans qualification and nurturing of inbound marketing qualified leads, outbound prospecting, and nurturing of in-funnel prospects. In all cases the goal is creating pipeline – formally defined as sales qualified opportunities.
This is a high-profile position internally – our sales team is growing massively and hungry for pipeline – and this role is about partnering with sales leadership and sales representatives strategically. We are heavily focused on account-based sales and marketing – so sales development at Instart is more about strategy, thought leadership and partnering with sales than about volume alone.
To apply for this role, you must have a demonstrated track record of sales development leadership excellence at leading SaaS or Cloud application or technology platform companies. Ideally, you will have public company, IPO and pre-IPO experience. While it would be helpful for you to have background in SaaS/cloud platforms, e-commerce, application delivery and/or ad-tech, we are looking first and foremost for a great manager, team builder, process and systems expert, and a partner with sales leadership.
Our prospects are C-level line of business and IT executives at the largest brands in the world – so demonstrated excellence in an account-based marketing world engaging with both line of business and IT executives at strategic enterprise accounts is critical. You must have the personal presence to engage with very senior executives at some of the largest companies in the world.
You must be an excellent communicator, writer, planner and business leader – and comfortable engaging both line of business and IT audiences. You must have demonstrated expertise in building a sales development machine – from a process, systems, and personnel development perspective.
When you apply for this role, the first thing our CMO is going to do is pick up the phone and call your prior sales executives. We want to hear that you worked together with them in partnership, and they could not have made their number without you. We want to hear how you built a team that engaged senior prospect executives and drove sales opportunities. We want to hear you were a thought leader working in concert with sales, and pushing sales - and not just a servant of sales.
Be clear that our top priority is all about partnering with sales leadership to drive pipeline – we are already large and growing as fast as 300% year over year – so whatever it takes build a world class sales development team and drive pipeline is the top priority. Show us you are a pipeline generating sales development animal.
Your people management, hiring, planning and systems skills are important to this role, as over time you will build out a large team, internationally. We like to graduate our sales development reps to become inside sales or even field sales reps – so you will take pride in graduating your employees to sales roles. You will also be exposed to and asked to contribute to a broad range of marketing programs – so if you aspire to broaden your skills become a VP of corporate marketing or of inside sales, this would be an ideal position to consider.
Gravitas, serious expertise, an established reputation as a change agent, and fearless communications are all highly respected in our culture. The successful candidate will have a big, visible personality and will both possess and be willing to defend strong convictions about how to drive a multi-hundred million dollar business growing well in excess of 100% year over year.
This bulk of your headcount will be based in Palo Alto, Manhattan and London. This position will reside at our corporate headquarters in Palo Alto, California and reports to the chief marketing officer.
The ability to travel periodically to sit with your teams in Manhattan and London is required.
- Requires a BA or BS degree from a top undergraduate institution. An MBA is preferred
- 5+ years of relevant inside sales and/or sales development leadership
- Past experience as manager or director of sales development or inside sales at leading Silicon Valley cloud computing or SaaS companies, focused on building pipeline for both line of business and IT, is required
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute compelling, highly effective plays and campaigns to engage prospects and drive pipeline
- Great strategic communication and writing skills
- Love and pride being an amazing manager of a smart, fast moving team of sales development professionals
- Fantastic execution – show us your process, measurement and reporting for how you run a world class sales development business
- Great hiring, team leadership and people development skills, with demonstrated ability to manage, lead and grow a world class team
- Excellent skills in sales and marketing systems and analytics – we use Marketo and Salesforce
- Demonstrated symbiotic relationships with CEOs, CRO’s, chief marketing officers, and sales executives
- Excellent writing, presentation, communication, planning and leadership skills
- Desire for boldness, experience disrupting entrenched competitors in mature markets
- High energy individual and entrepreneurial in spirit and deed – motivated by an equity upside and a long-term opportunity, ready to grow a highly motivated and dedicated team and advance an important business