Senior Security Engineer
Technical Operations | Palo Alto, CA | Full Time
At Instart, we are building a world where digital experiences continuously adapt to become increasingly engaging with every interaction.
Every major brand today, whether it is online shopping, travel or news, is making huge investments to improve their online experiences to keep up with consumer expectations. As consumers in a digital world, we tend to abandon websites very quickly if the experience is not as good as we expect it to be - fast, engaging and responsive. With over 100+ patents using artificial intelligence and machine learning, Instart’s unique technology continually optimizes the online consumer experience, learning from every interaction across devices and networks.
We’re growing at a rapid pace - on the path to increase our revenue and customer base by 4x in the next couple of years! You have an opportunity to be a part of this amazing growth, working on cutting-edge AI/ML cloud technology with some of the greatest minds, to help the most recognizable brands in the world create better digital experiences.
Instart is backed by major investors who are all looking to see us become the next Unicorn and more – Andreessen Horowitz, KPCB, Tenaya, Greylock, Geodesic, Sutter Hill and STTelemedia to name a few. We take pride in the great experience we offer our employees from our flexible work schedules to free lunches and our super cool, dog friendly office in Palo Alto. Let’s talk about your next career opportunity at Instart.
As our Sr. Security Engineer, you will be working in conjunction with our Head of Security to provide a secure environment for both our employees and our customers. Your day to day would, at a minimum, include validating application and environment changes to confirm security best practices, execute on vulnerability scanning and penetration testing, remediating security gaps and findings, keep security policies and procedures up to date, and being an integral part of the incident response process.
- Provide leadership in mentoring teams throughout the organization on secure practices, and then validating their compliance through scanning, manual reviews, or automated reviews.
- Review network and software changes and validate them against compliance standards (PCI, SOC2, etc)
- Perform regular penetration testing, vulnerability scanning, and remediate gaps found
- Work with the Head of Security in annual compliance audits
- Develop, update, and maintain security policies, procedures, and methodologies
- Assist in guiding security project both for the organization as well as for products and services
- Use common security tools and techniques to analyze network traffic and systems behavior in order to identify and track potential attacks and adversaries.
- Develop tools and scripts to automate vulnerability detection.
- Validate vulnerabilities found by automated tools, bug bounty programs, and manual testing and establish priority for mitigation.
- Suggest firewall and NIDS rules and configuration changes to the environment in order to mitigate observed attacks.
- Determine root cause of potential security events or incidents.
- Effectively communicate through written and spoken means with technical peers.
- Under the guidance of management, respond to security incidents.
- Own tracking and resolution of security incidents and mitigations.
- Occasional on-call work.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- 3+ years of experience in information/computer security.
- 1+ years of experience as a security analyst.
- Demonstrable experience writing NIDS, SIEM and Firewall rules.
- Experience in writing SQL queries.
- Experience working with digital forensic tools a plus
- 2+ years of automated scripting knowledge
- UNIX / Linux experience
- SIEM knowledge a plus
- Compliance (PCI, SOC2) knowledge a plus
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.