Finance and Administration | Palo Alto, CA | Full Time
The ideal candidate will be an experienced Controller who loves the numbers, but can also plug into a committed, passionate team of accountants who believe in our mission to build a last mile logistic platform for local commerce. Experienced and ready to take that next step with a growth company, the Controller must be willing to be a "player-coach" with strong fundamental skills and an ability to communicate a vision for the department and take the business to a higher level.
- Hands on – doer and not pointer
- Strong communication skills - numbers are key, but a business is built with people. Cross-functional relationships and effective communication to non-financial audiences are critical to making an impact
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- A resourceful, action-oriented individual who possesses a proactive sense of urgency
- Robust technical accounting experience, that can be used as a sounding board for the team and a source of guidance for accounting policies and procedures as we expand
- Agent of Change: be a collaborative business partner with other groups (such as Sales, Marketing, Ops) and never stop to look for opportunity to streamline corporate processes and to improve productivities
- Financial Reporting: lead month-end and year-end close process; perform reviews to ensure accuracy and compliance with GAAP; publish timely financial statements including bank reporting; analyze variances from plan
- Internal Controls: enforce proper authorization and accurate recording of all transactions; study and map business processes for A/P, A/R, payroll, date integrity, payments etc., and look for ways to streamline; safeguard all assets (cash, investments, fixed assets, etc.), develop and manage fraud program and relevant control processes
- People Leadership: provide ongoing coaching and development to the staff; create an inspiring vision for the accounting team as the company enters its next chapter of growth; drive speed and accuracy to ensure there's plenty of time for high-value work on forward-looking decision support
- Technical Lead: Lead the team to assess, implement changes, and monitor compliance based on ASC 606, new FASB pronouncements, and any other industry technical guidance
- Manage Working Capital: drive improvements in the areas of cash, dasher and merchant operations, purchasing, etc.
- Systems/ERP: be a super-user and lead the implementation of expanded data mining and reporting capabilities. Serve as the lead on any system changes that require interdepartmental coordination
- Tax and Audit Oversight: year end-audit, periodic bank audits and tax reporting with outside CPAs.
- Treasury: oversee and safeguard cash: maintain excellent relationship with our bank payment processors
- 5+ years of recent financial accounting experience with an enterprise SaaS software company and 7+ years in managing and scaling an accounting team
- Past experience as a Controller taking a company from $30MM to $100MM+
- CPA licensed in California with public accounting experience (Big4 is a plus)
- Strong system skills and past experience implementing Netsuite financial systems is a plus
- Industry experience from pre-IPO through IPO experience strongly preferred
- Strong leadership and ability to attract, develop and coach high caliber individuals and teams
- Experience with Sarbanes-Oxley compliance, implementation and maintenance of internal controls
At Instart, we are building a world where the largest brands in the world can deliver amazing digital experiences to their customers.
Every major brand today, whether it is online shopping, travel or media, is making huge investments to improve their online experiences to keep up with consumer expectations. As consumers in a digital world, we tend to abandon websites very quickly if the experience is not as good as we expect it to be - fast, engaging, and responsive. With 100+ patents using artificial intelligence and machine learning, Instart’s unique technology continually optimizes the online consumer experience, learning from every interaction across devices and networks.
We’re growing at a rapid pace - on the path to increase our revenue and customer base by 4x in the next couple of years! You have an opportunity to be a part of this amazing growth, working on cutting-edge AI/ML cloud technology with some of the greatest minds, to help the most recognizable brands in the world create better digital experiences.
Instart is backed by major investors who are all looking to see us become the next Unicorn and more – Andreessen Horowitz, Kleiner Perkins, Greylock, Wing, and Sutter Hill to name a few. We take pride in the great experience we offer our employees from our flexible work schedules to free lunches and our super cool, dog-friendly office in Palo Alto. Let’s talk about your next career opportunity at Instart.
Instart is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.