Surgical Scheduler - Senior (San Antonio-cg-es)
Surgical/ Scrub Tech | San Antonio, TX | Full Time and Contract
Surgical Scheduler - Senior
Work Location: San Antonio TX
The Surgical Scheduler Sr, under minimal supervision, dedicated to internal surgery scheduling from physicians’ orders as directed by the physician. Close working relationship and good communication with physician a must. Reserve operating room date and time. Schedule anesthesia and surgical assistant and any outside surgical representatives and/or equipment necessary for procedure. Provide patient with pre-operative testing information ordered by physician: i.e. CHEST XRAY/EKG/LABS and if requested any MEDICAL CLEARANCES. Review pre-operative testing results with physician and appropriate actions if test return abnormal. Obtain necessary insurance authorization from insurance company with the proper Procedure (CPT) and Diagnosis codes (ICD9). Communicate to the patient surgical information, all necessary prep the date/time/location of the appointment. May help orient, train and assign work of lower level employees. Serves as a liaison between physician, patients, Operating Room (OR) staff and all medical professionals involved. Follows standard procedures and pre-established guidelines to complete tasks. Supports and adheres to the US Oncology Compliance Program to include the Code of Ethics and Business Standards.
Job Duties/Responsibilities/Functions (including but not limited to)
- Fully versed in surgery scheduling
- Demonstrates an understanding of medical terminology, procedures and diagnosis necessary to perform appropriate scheduling.
- Knowledgeable in coding, able to look up codes specific to diagnosis and scheduled procedure.
- Knowledge of patient’s medical history, i.e. allergies, current medications
- Obtains insurance pre-authorization
- Obtains and enters all authorization and correspondence relating to scheduled surgery in EMR/Physicians calendar, surgical assistant and anesthesia scheduling.
- Communicates to patient what the necessary prep is before surgery.
- Follow up on all pre-operative tests to ensure completed and cleared for surgical procedure and communicates with physician and patients if further testing is required before surgery is performed.
- Demonstrates an understanding of patient confidentiality to protect the patient and clinic/corporation
Schedules post-operative follow-up appointments with the Physician.
- Follows policies and procedures to contribute to the efficiency surgery scheduling position
- May provide direction and assistants to lower level employees
- Researches and responds to routine, non-routine, and complex situations in a timely and professional manner
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- Position requires at least 5-year medical office work experience.
- Knowledge of medical terminology required.
- Must have excellent communication skills, written and verbal.
- Proficiency with computer systems and Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, and Excel) required.
InGenesis is dedicated to placing people in positions that preserve life, improve lives and inspire others. This does not happen without passionate people, skilled colleagues who are motivated to create innovative solutions and deliver superior service to our clients. Founded in 1998, InGenesis manages thousands of employees, including pioneering healthcare, science, technology and pharma professionals. The workforce solutions company includes almost half of the Fortune 500 in its nearly 300 clients. It is recognized as one of the largest healthcare staffing firms, and InGenesis is the largest minority/women owned healthcare staffing firm in North America.
We support a diverse workforce and is an Equal Opportunity Employer who does not discriminate against employees and applicants for employment on the basis of race, gender, color, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other classification protected by law.