RN Oncology (3669)
Oncology | Dallas, TX | Contract
RN - Oncology
Work Location: Dallas, TX
Job Duties/Responsibilities/Functions(including but not limited to)
• Maintains adequate stock of supplies as required for work area. Maintains a safe and secure environment to meet patient needs. Facilitates patient scheduling for all tests and visits. Completes billing of all nursing procedures including any infusion therapy.
• Prepares equipment and assists physicians during physical exams and medical procedures. Prepares patient for the physician exam. Chaperones physician visit. Prepares and administers medications as prescribed by physician. Takes, records, and reports patient vital signs using medical equipment; inspects equipment and facilities visually and physically to ensure patient safety and proper functioning of equipment. Obtains any specimens ordered by the physician for collection.
• Obtains medical history from patients through structured interviews in accordance with departmental guidelines. Documents nursing assessment. Documents patient care interventions and education in medical records; ensures appropriate patient consents and authorizations are obtained for research and/or medical treatment. Delivers nursing interventions to assigned patients that are consistent with stated medical plan of care while observing and recording signs, symptoms, and behavior of patients in medical records.
• Triages patient phone inquiries according to physician and/or departmental protocols and documents such inquiries and results in patients' medical records. Demonstrates effective communication skills, physical and psychosocial assessment skills, and knowledge of how to access pertinent health records to facilitate triage decision making.
• Participates in evaluating nursing needs of patients; assesses problems affecting patients; recommends policy and/or procedural changes according to nursing expertise; schedules patients' appointments, tests, and procedures via on-line computer system or telephone. Facilitates patient-physician communication and assists the patient through the treatment process.
• Provides patient education, procedural instructions, general health information, and reinforces physician instructions in person and through telephone contact. Documents patient education in the medical record.
• Administers chemotherapy and blood products in the infusion area. Demonstrates knowledge of central line, port, and IV management. Provides nursing care to the patient undergoing complex procedures such as bone marrow biopsies or intrathecal chemotherapy. The bone marrow transplant nurse will be responsible for administering high dose chemotherapy and stem cell infusions.
• Provides patient counseling based on specialized and/or advanced knowledge gained through education and experience. Performs other duties as assigned.
• Associate's degree (BSN preferred)
• Licensure as Registered Nurse by Board of Nurse Examiners for State of Texas
• Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification, course accredited by the American Heart Association (AHA), is required.
• Two (2) years nursing experience, oncology experience preferred.
• Certification in one of the clinical areas offered by the Oncology Nursing Certification Corporation (ONCC) required within 24 months of employment, (OCN, CPHON, CBCN, or BMTCN). Application for certification is required upon meeting eligibility criteria.
InGenesis is dedicated to placing people in positions that preserve life, improve lives and inspire others. This does not happen without passionate people, skilled colleagues who are motivated to create innovative solutions and deliver superior service to our clients. Founded in 1998, InGenesis manages thousands of employees, including pioneering healthcare, science, technology and pharma professionals. The workforce solutions company includes almost half of the Fortune 500 in its nearly 300 clients. It is recognized as one of the largest healthcare staffing firms, and InGenesis is the largest minority/women owned healthcare staffing firm in North America.
We support a diverse workforce and is an Equal Opportunity Employer who does not discriminate against employees and applicants for employment on the basis of race, gender, color, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other classification protected by law.