Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Dental Assistant - CMD
Dental Assistant | Fayetteville, NC | Full Time and Contract
THIS POSITION IS BEING RECRUITED
ON BEHALF OF COMPLETE MOBILE DENTISTRY
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Dental Assistant – Ft. Bragg
Work Location: Fayetteville, NC
Searching for a qualified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Dental Assistant to serve as sole assistant to an oral surgeon in a variety of complex oral maxillofacial procedures performed in the hospital operating room and dental clinic.
Job Duties/Responsibilities/Functions (including but not limited to)
- Receives and schedules patients for treatment.
- Obtains and records information related to medical history of patient and routes patients for medical tests and services when required.
- Takes preliminary dental impressions plus pours and trims study models from impressions.
- Responsible for maintenance and equipment of surgical section of the dental laboratory.
- Operates the dental X-ray equipment for routine and specially requested intraoral and extraoral radiographs to include panographic, facial bone, and cephalometric radiographs. Exposes, develops, mounts, and labels all radiographs.
- Processes laboratory specimen and routes to the pathology laboratory.
- Prepares the dental clinic and hospital operating room for any of several types of surgical procedures.
- Obtains necessary supplies and equipment and selects proper instruments for the specific surgery.
- Attaches and activates major patient monitoring equipment.
- Sets up instruments, equipment, and materials; prepares patient for surgery; and obtains and records patient’s vital signs such as pulse, blood pressure, temperature, and respiratory rate.
- Assists the surgeon in administering of IV medications. Performs a variety of scrub duties in preparation of intraoral and extraoral procedures.
- Anticipates the oral surgeon’s needs and assists the oral surgeon in the hospital operating room in a variety of complex oral and maxillofacial procedures that involve lengthy, delicate, surgery such as malignant growths, correction of congenital anomalies such as cleft palates, prognathism, traumatic injuries that require mandibular ramus surgery, implants, and other conditions that impair respiratory and masticatory functioning.
- Retracts vital vessel, nerve, and muscle structures and ensures that precautions are taken to prevent injury to these structures.
- Ensures patient does not aspirate fluids and that injuries to the lip, tongue, cheeks and skin are prevented.
- Assists in wiring splints and maintains placement of retractors.
- Passes and uses materials in precise order and detailed fashion to prevent cross-contamination of surgical instruments.
- Prepares and places surgical dressings, removes contaminated instruments from the operating field, and cuts sutures on direction.
- Monitors the patient under general anesthesia or sedation throughout surgery and closely observing numerical displays, facings, and audible alarms.
- Informs the oral surgeon of abnormal vital signs that include pulse rates, systolic and diastolic blood pressures, and oxygen saturations.
- Applies, changes, and removes dressings, sutures, and other maxillofacial appliances as directed by the oral surgeon.
- Provides oral hygiene instructions for care of prosthodontic appliances and post-surgical instructions to patients.
- Cleans and sterilizes materials, instruments, and equipment IAW OSHA Regulations.
- Maintains dental equipment in a clean and operative condition.
- Orders and stores dental supplies.
- Records treatment and examination information on patient records, prepares consent form for anesthesia and surgery, and prepares prescriptions for dentist’s signature.
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Dental Assistants shall be graduates from a formal dental assistant program, with a curriculum of a minimum of three (3) months in length plus at least six (6) months of clinical dental assisting experience or have at least one (1) year of clinical dental assisting experience.
- Oral and maxillofacial surgery assistants must have completed their training or have dental assisting experience within the past three (3) years and must have at least three (3) additional months of assisting experience in either an office-based out-patient surgery practice or the operating room.
- Read, write, and speak English well enough to effectively communicate with patients,
- Requires the use of computers. Must be computer literate
- Provide completion of a primary series of immunization with tetanus and diphtheria toxoids and that a booster dose is current (within the past 10 years), Hepatitis (Type B) documentation of results, documentation of immunization/serologic evidence of immunity to measles and rubella, serologic evidence of immunity to varicella or documented history of illness or immunization, and to be screened for tuberculosis
- All dental assistants working with lasers shall be required to have a baseline eye exam as a condition of employment.
About Complete Mobile Dentistry, Inc.
Complete Mobile Dentistry, Inc. (CMD) started as a dental staffing agency in 2002. Dentists, dental hygienists and dental assistants were placed in both temporary and permanent positions. In 2005, CMD expanded its services to provide on-site dental readiness exams to military personnel throughout the country. CMD’s staff now performs a thorough and accurate dental exam to prevent the service men and women of the Armed Forces from arriving in a deployed environment with dental pain or defect. In June of 2015, we reopened our staffing agency, now a national agency called Complete Dental Staffing. We specialize in providing ideal placement for dental offices of all sizes, ranging from last-minute absences to permanent placement. We provide coverage for dentists, dental assistants, and hygienists. Today, CMD continues to support Logistics Health Incorporated in their work with the United States Armed Forces. Through collaborative efforts, we hope to continually ensure that service members meet medical and dental readiness standards and therefore are able to service our country. It is an honor to be part of such an important mission.
We support a diverse workforce and is an Equal Opportunity Employer who does not discriminate against employees and applicants for employment on the basis of race, gender, color, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other classification protected by law.