Medical Technologist (3677)
Medical Technologist | San Antonio, TX | Contract
Work Location: San Antonio, TX
InGenesis seeks a Medical Technologist to perform and analyze the results of complex scientific tests on blood and bodily fluids. This position provides information for diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of diseases. If you meet the qualifications, please apply.
Job Duties/Responsibilities/Functions(including but not limited to)
• Assists with performing phlebotomy and collecting appropriate specimens from patients as ordered. Assures pre-authorization and completes appropriate consent forms (ABN) prior to collection of limited coverage tests.
• Assists with special procedures as needed (i.e. bone marrows in the room).
• Follows the laboratory’s procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analyses, reporting, and maintaining records of patient results.
• Performs specimen analysis of all Chemistry, Hematology and Immunology specimens.
• Maintains and operates all laboratory equipment. Performs daily, weekly and monthly instrument maintenance as indicated.
• Adheres to the laboratory’s quality control policies and documents all QC activities, instrument and procedural calibrations, and instrument maintenance. Records proper lot numbers of all controls, calibrators, and reagents.
• Participates in proficiency testing by performing sample analysis and reporting results at least once a year.
• Prepares peripheral blood smear and competently performs complete WBC differential on normal and abnormal smears.
• Performs microscopic examination of urinary sediment.
• Records results on appropriate worksheet and computer system and performs file maintenance. Processes specimens for send-out testing.
• Follows the laboratory’s policies whenever test systems are not within the laboratory*s established acceptable levels of performance. Identifies problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and either corrects the problem or notifies supervisor. Documents all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory*s established performance specifications.
• Maintains proper documentation as described by the quality assurance program including accessioning logs, test report logs, quality control logs, equipment records and checklists. Verifies all critical results and documents with accurate follow-up.
• Maintains adequate inventory of supplies and ensures that all supplies are viable before using in patient testing.
• Prepares reagents, stains and other chemical solutions as needed. Restocks the laboratory area as needed.
• Sends specimens to reference laboratories for any testing not performed in house.
• Processes incoming orders for lab testing including reference laboratory specimens.
• Processes in-house and in-coming results for charting.
• Charts patient results in a timely manner as needed.
• Properly identify and band patients for blood product transfusion. Processes properly labeled specimens according to local blood bank policy.
• Trains employees in laboratory procedures.
• May act as primary operator for at least one laboratory instrument.
• Participates in development of new instruments and procedures as needed.
• Acts as a resource for laboratory science information.
• May oversee daily laboratory activities of in the absence of supervisor.
• Complies with quality assurance standards.
• Adheres to all OSHA compliance laws and Universal Precaution procedures. Complies with applicable regulatory agency standards.
• Properly disposes of hazardous materials.
• Maintains a clean working environment.
• Maintains confidentially of all information related to patients and medical staff.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in medical technology or laboratory science.
• Current state license if required.
• AMT, ASCP or equivalent certification preferred.
• This position requires 5 or more years of experience.
InGenesis is dedicated to placing people in positions that preserve life, improve lives and inspire others. This does not happen without passionate people, skilled colleagues who are motivated to create innovative solutions and deliver superior service to our clients. Founded in 1998, InGenesis manages thousands of employees, including pioneering healthcare, science, technology and pharma professionals. The workforce solutions company includes almost half of the Fortune 500 in its nearly 300 clients. It is recognized as one of the largest healthcare staffing firms, and InGenesis is the largest minority/women owned healthcare staffing firm in North America.
We support a diverse workforce and is an Equal Opportunity Employer who does not discriminate against employees and applicants for employment on the basis of race, gender, color, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other classification protected by law.