Part-time Newborn Hearing Screener
Newborn Hearing Screener | Santa Barbara, CA | Part Time
The Newborn Hearing Screener will conduct hearing screens on all applicable patients at the hospital he or she is assigned to. While performing hearing screens, the Newborn Hearing Screener will follow IHSS and hospital policies and procedures, including, but not limited to infection prevention and control, safety awareness, and quality assurance. Contribute to a positive work environment and overall team effort, and sign a non-compete/confidentiality agreement.
- Ensure every baby is screened according to the state requirements under the California, NHSP, and IHSS corporate guidelines.
- Maintain a clean and orderly work area.
- Follow strict guidelines for patient identification and result labeling.
- Maintain both hospital and IHSS corporate records and logs as required.
- Maintain newborn hearing screening equipment in accordance with IHSS corporate guidelines. Any damage or equipment malfunctions must be reported immediately to the Biomedical Engineering department.
- Record results appropriately in patients’ charts.
- Inventory supplies and report supply needs to assigned Area Manager.
- Begin assigned shift as scheduled.
- Perform related responsibilities as required or directed.
- When possible, perform hearing screens on infants in the best possible testing conditions (while infant is sleeping, testing environment is quiet, lights are dimmed).
- Report all hospital concerns immediately (within twelve hours) to IHSS personnel.
- Attend all meetings that pertain to the Newborn Hearing Screening Program when directed by corporate office.
- Ensure strict compliance with the Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act (HIPAA).
- Maintain excellent customer service throughout the program.
KNOWLEDGE & EDUCATION:
Minimum skill and proficiency in both oral and written communication and basic mathematical calculations as acquired through the completion of high school or its equivalent.
Work requires operation or use of infant hearing screening machine, general office equipment, and computer technology.
Ability to communicate effectively with medical staff, including but not limited to, nurses and other staff within the hospital for the purpose of coordinating activities and explaining basic test procedures.
Completion of the National Center for Hearing Assessment and Management (NCHAM) Newborn Hearing Screening Training Curriculum (Not required for initial hiring)
Basic Life Support CPR American Heart Association Course Completion Cards.
Preferred but not required; Licensed California Registered Nurse, or Certified Nursing Assistant.
Ability to stand, walk, and push the screening equipment. Perform light physical lifting (up to 25 pounds) on an intermittent basis.
ESSENTIAL ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
Work is performed in a standard hospital environment with exposure to human waste, blood, and other body secretions. It is acknowledged that there is possible exposure to communicable or infectious diseases that may require well defined precautions for protection from injury or illness.
Required to provide proof of the following immunizations and lab work at employee’s expense.
-Seasonal influenza shot
-TB Test within one year or a current TB chest X-ray within three years
-Two MMR (Measles, Mumps, & Rubella) immunization records or blood titer (with quantitative values)
-Two Varicella immunization records or blood titer (with quantitative values)
-Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis) immunization record dated within ten years
-Hepatitis B immunizations: either series of 3, blood titer (with quantitative values)
Job Type: Part-time