Senior Services Developer
Engineering | Redwood City, CA | Full Time
Senior Services Developer
Redwood City, CA
As a Senior Services Developer, you'll be building the platform that makes up the core of modern social networks. You will join the Services team, the "front-line" backend engineers that enable our acclaimed client apps. As we continue to add powerful features for our users, your creative designs will keep the app experience responsive and crisp.
- Build software that powers the experience of millions of users.
Design sophisticated solutions and deploy your own code to production.
Adapt to a diverse set of backend technologies (Redis, Memcache, Elastic Search, domain-specific languages, and many more)
Work with a team of highly-motivated server and client engineers.
- Set teamwide best practices for PHP code quality and API architecture.
- Set standards for internal API documentation and development workflows.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, or equivalent work experience.
A firm grasp of Computer Science fundamentals including object oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis.
5+ years of web API development.
- 1+ years in modern PHP (7+).
- Extensive experience with and knowledge of [multi-tier] applications and RESTful APIs.
- Knowledgeable of real-time web UI technology (ex. WebSockets, HTTP/2, pub/sub, messaging brokers).
- Developed consumer applications that have handled significant public traffic (10k+ daily active users).
- Experience with REST API documentation strategies (Swagger, PHPDoc).
- Familiar with Slim and REST API frameworks for PHP.
- Professional Experience in .NET / C# server-side development.
- Knowledge of data pipelining and pub/sub architectures.
- Experience in data architecture: SQL databases, caching, sharding.
- Knowledge of DevOps systems, CI/CD, deployment pipeline.
IMVU, the #1 avatar-based social network welcomes users to join a never-ending world where anything is possible, including connecting with people from all over the world. It's here that the fun is infinite and reality is limitless. The IMVU Virtual Shop is the largest of its kind, with an inventory of more than 20 million user-generated, VR-ready goods and growing everyday. From collections that include the hottest trends and throwback sneakers to fairy wings and couture gowns, the marketplace allows our users to personalize, customize and stylize their 3D avatars and environments to their hearts' content. With over Five million unique users every month, our platform is poised for future growth and available on desktop, tablet and mobile devices.
Our Engineers are given significant autonomy over their work: we hire smart people and trust them to use their creativity and talents to do right by their peers and our customers. We are longstanding evangelists of Continuous Deployment, strong supporters of open source software and we spawned the Lean Startup movement. We value humility, open collaboration and foster an environment that supports learning from and mentoring others. We want you to grow your talent and career. We’ll provide plenty of interesting challenges and strong support to ensure your success. At IMVU, we solve challenging problems and create amazing products together every day! Check out some of what we’re doing on our Engineering blog: http://im.vu/engineering
Founded in 2004 and based in the heart of Silicon Valley, IMVU is led by a team that's dedicated to pioneering the virtual reality industry. IMVU is backed by venture investors Menlo Ventures, Allegis Capital, Bridgescale Partners and Best Buy Capital.
IMVU has been recognized frequently as Best Place to Work in the Silicon Valley.
HOW TO APPLY
Please try out our core product before you apply. We’d like you to understand our products and have some understanding of our customers.
Please include a cover letter. Make sure to discuss why you are interested in learning more about IMVU. Job applications without cover letters will not be considered.
IMVU is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.