Mobile Technical Art Director
Product | Redwood City, CA | Full Time
Mobile Technical Art Director
San Francisco, CA / Redwood City, CA
Mobile 3D Art Production
IMVU is seeking colleagues for the IMVU Mobile Apps Team, who will be responsible for the development and maintenance of mobile applications that include AR, VR, Geolocation, and computer vision. This person will have a highly influential role working alongside fellow artists, designers and engineers within mobile technologies, and has a deep understanding of 3D pipelines for mobile, and a track record that demonstrates a commitment to leading technology development, collaborative problem solving, sophisticated design, and shipping quality products. As the Technical Art Director for Mobile you will build critical assets, tools and pipelines; you will define and document the art path used by creators around the world. The Technical Art Director for Mobile produces work that at the highest level of quality and difficulty, setting a technical and aesthetic bar for the team/company. They have a proven track record of resolving the most complex and broad reaching challenges in relationship to content construction, pipeline management and leading edge visuals. This is a ‘forward-looking’ role. In addition to current “best practices” and competitive awareness, the Technical Art Director for Mobile is expected to understand emerging mobile trends and technologies in 3D content and make strategic recommendations as to how they may benefit and/or impact the organization. The Technical Art Director for Mobile makes important contributions to key IMVU initiatives and projects and participates in setting product and functional vision within the studio.
- Design and build the pipelines for new 3D mobile experiences.
- Ensure the performance, quality, and responsiveness of mobile applications.
- Design, build and maintain tools that streamline shipping products and their assets.
- Define, develop and assist in the integration of computer vision with 3D models.
- Provide technical guidance to artists and programmers throughout the product development process.
- Set and manage achievement of (annual) art-technical operating objectives, providing critical strategic input into objectives of the mobile initiatives.
- Engage in technical planning and design, defining content aspirations for the studio.
- Develop appropriate art pipelines and workflows, working in conjunction with the Design Leads, 3D Production Team and the Engineering Team.
- Will help build and maintain a centralized scheme of managing content for mobile products.
- Troubleshoot and resolve technical art production issues, on-going improving and evolving production.
- The Technical Art Director for Mobile spearheads R&D efforts for tools, content and new technologies in relation to mobile art and 3D art performance.
- Identifies and tests 3rd party tools that will maintain our leading edge in content constructions and visuals.
- Identifies and executes solutions to pipeline and technology deficiencies within the studio.
- Researches future solutions or cutting edge content technologies.
- Reviews pipelines and content creation process to identify best practices.
- Exceptional troubleshooting, problem-solving skills.
- A deep understanding of delivering 3D assets for mobile.
- Experience building a variety of mobile applications, shipped multiple 3D and/or mobile products (to Google Play and Apple App Store).
- Strong technical proficiency in understanding/developing proprietary tools and technology.
- Strong understanding of 3D technologies - computer vision, image processing and facial recognition; 3D engines - rendering/shaders, and 3D production - character rigging, etc.
- Strong understanding of methods of optimizing game art assets for game engines and optimizing pipelines and processes.
- 3D development and/or tools support experience (OpenGL, Metal, Vulcan)
- Familiarity with the majority of modern 3D software packages (Maya, 3DSMax, zBrush, Unity, etc.).
- Experience designing graphically-driven content creation applications.
- Experience with user-generated content driven systems.
- Solid understanding and experience in a variety of scripting languages.
- Experience setting and managing several art asset management systems.
- Experience with Google Tango, Android NDK, Android SDK or CocoaTouch is a definite bonus.
- 10 or more years of CG production, and 5 or more years management experience.
- Minimum 2-year 2D/3D art/technical degree, or equivalent with excellent critique and vocabulary skills. BFA or equivalent preferred.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Ability to to be highly creative within an agile development process, and to work well under pressure and with deadlines.
- Diligence with individual and team tasks, schedule and adherence to budget limitations.
- Positive attitude and a desire to bring new ideas to the team.
- Passion for making and using great products, with an awareness of current products and the competitive landscape.
IMVU, the #1 avatar-based social network welcomes users to join a never-ending world where anything is possible, including connecting with people from all over the world. It's here that the fun is infinite and reality is limitless. The IMVU Virtual Shop is the largest of its kind, with an inventory of more than 20 million user-generated, VR-ready goods and growing everyday. From collections that include the hottest trends and throwback sneakers to fairy wings and couture gowns, the marketplace allows our users to personalize, customize and stylize their 3D avatars and environments to their hearts' content. With over three million unique users every month, our platform is poised for future growth and available on desktop, tablet and mobile devices.
Founded in 2004 and based in the heart of Silicon Valley, IMVU is led by a team that's dedicated to pioneering the virtual reality industry. IMVU is backed by venture investors Menlo Ventures, Allegis Capital, Bridgescale Partners and Best Buy Capital.
IMVU has been recognized 6 outof the past 7 years as one of the Best Place to Work in the Silicon Valley by the San Francisco Business Times and Silicon Valley Business Journal.
HOW TO APPLY
Please try out our core product before you apply. We’d like you to understand our products and have some understanding of our customers.
Please include a cover letter. Make sure to discuss why you are interested in learning more about IMVU. Job applications without cover letters will not be considered.
IMVU is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.