Internal Application: Software Engineer (Imaging)
Engineering – Imaging | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
imgix is building the future of visual media on the Internet. imgix operates the premier solution to deliver impactful, engaging, highly responsive and super fast imagery to eyeballs around the world. The service consists of a top tier image delivery platform tightly coupled with imgix's proprietary, on-demand image processing pipeline. It provides customers with great design flexibility while reducing the engineering investment required to serve state-of-the-art visual media. imgix enables our customers to greatly increase the value of their imagery and get back to building awesome things.
We are looking for engineers to join our talented and growing team who have experience working with images at a low level. You would be responsible for researching, implementing, and optimizing algorithms that extend our existing feature set and improve the quality of the images we deliver. This would involve all aspects of images on the web including the visual quality, compression, and file formats. You'll be an individual contributor with the ability to make a big impact on our technical stack. Your work will have an immediate and tangible impact on the product our customers rely on to power the processing and delivery of their image content.
What you'll be doing:
- Implementing and enhancing support for new and existing file formats (JPG, PNG, WebP, etc)
- Researching and productionizing image effects and transformations (e.g. blur, rotation, smart cropping, etc)
- Triaging and continually enhancing performance of the rendering stack in development and production
- Working with other senior engineers up the stack to collect, surface, and analyze image rendering statistics and issues at scale
What we're looking for:
- 2+ years of experience related to image processing
- Fundamental understanding of image processing including color spaces, transformations, various file format implementations, compression techniques, and image statistics
- Experience writing code in C/C++/Objective-C. Experience with Python, Lua, Go considered a plus
- Machine learning experience with image training and classification considered a plus
imgix is located in downtown San Francisco, pretty close to BART, Caltrain and a really good sandwich place. Employee benefits are comprehensive (401k, medical, dental and vision), perks are generous (catered lunches, paid rides home, the occasional team outing), vacation time is flexible and salaries are commensurate with experience. We also provide employees with anything (reasonably) necessary to be effective in their work: funky keyboards, standing desks, a desk cactus and maybe even a laptop. The troposphere is the limit.
If you'd like to help us build the future of image serving on the Internet, submit your resume/CV and cover letter for consideration. Principals only please. We look forward to hearing from you!