Network Reliability Engineer
Engineering – Infrastructure | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
imgix is looking for a Data Center and Networking-focused Site Reliability Engineer to join our Infrastructure Engineering team. In this role, you will work closely with other members of the team to build and operate the network and data center infrastructure that powers image delivery for some of the largest sites on the Internet.
In this role you will also engage with network carriers, data center operators, cloud operators, and other business partners in order to maintain and expand our hybrid infrastructure.
This role involves a day-to-day focus on networking and data center implementation and maintenance, with responsibilities including:
- Maintenance and troubleshooting of carrier-grade networking equipment and associated hardware in multiple data center locations. This requires a knowledge of BGP and OSPF.
- Use of tools such as Ansible, Terraform, Kubernetes, and custom tooling written in Python to automate management of our physical and cloud-based network elements.
- Setup and maintenance of networking hardware from a variety of manufacturers, including Juniper routers and switches.
- Working with the entire engineering organization to implement best practices for network security.
- Participation in an on-call rotation to debug issues with our network and data center deployments as they arise.
There are also tasks which will come up less frequently that you would be expected to be involved in, including:
- Physical presence at our data center locations as part of deployment and maintenance of equipment alongside on-site vendors.
- Acting as a Peering Coordinator to establish and maintain peering relationships with other networks.
- Participation in the design and implementation of new data center deployments and changes to our existing hybrid cloud / data center environment.
- Working with large network carriers for provisioning of IP transit and transport capacity.
imgix currently operates as a remote workplace when possible due to the coronavirus pandemic. This role will be mostly remote (with occasional exceptions for on site data center work), with the possibility of being based in our San Francisco office when it is appropriate and our office can safely reopen. Employee benefits are comprehensive (401(k), medical, dental, and vision), perks are generous, vacation time is flexible, and salaries are in line with industry averages.