Image Processing Engineer
Engineering – Imaging | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
imgix is looking for a graphics-minded engineer to join our talented image processing team. In this role, you will work closely with the larger Infrastructure team which builds and operates the high-performance, high-availability image platform that powers image delivery for some of the largest sites on the internet.
The imaging team is responsible for every single crop, resize, mask, and transformation of the billions of images we serve every day. You will be working on the core of our imaging service, which will give you the opportunity to impact every image we serve as well as influence future direction in our image operations.
- Interested in images and other media formats
- Self starter - you must be able to take projects or features, break them down, and drive them to a proper conclusion
- 2+ year(s) of experience with image processing algorithms and image file format APIs
- Proficient in C/C++
- Detail-oriented enough to write low-level code
- Nice to have: Experience with macOS and/or Linux, familiarity with image recognition or computer vision, knowledge of Python or Lua, experience programming GPUs
About the role:
- Research and implement algorithms for image transformations with an eye towards performance and compression
- Stay abreast of developments in the image processing space, including image formats, computer vision, and new hardware
- Make recommendations on new image operation features and how they would interact with existing implementations
- Help architect and maintain cross-platform development and compatibility
imgix is building the future of visual media on the Internet. imgix operates the premier solution to deliver impactful, engaging, highly responsive and super fast imagery to eyeballs around the world. Our service consists of a top tier image delivery platform tightly coupled with imgix's proprietary, on-demand image processing pipeline. It provides customers with great design flexibility while reducing the engineering investment required to serve state-of-the-art visual media. imgix enables our customers to greatly increase the value of their imagery and get back to building awesome things.
Under normal circumstances, we are located in downtown San Francisco, close to BART and Caltrain. With COVID, we are working remotely and will be remote-friendly going forward even after the pandemic is under control and we can return to the office. Employee benefits are comprehensive (401k, medical, dental and vision), perks are generous (catered lunches, paid rides home, the occasional team outing), vacation time is flexible, and salaries are commensurate with experience. We also provide engineers with anything they (reasonably) need to be effective in their work: funky keyboards, standing desks, and gear to develop on.