Quality Engineer - Functional
DC - Quality Engineering | Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India | Full Time
An ASX100 business part that is owned by Australian universities, IDP is a pioneer in international education services. Our core business lines include student placement to Australia, US, UK, Canada and New Zealand institutions, English-language testing and training.
We are on a mission to build the world's leading platform and connected community to guide students along their journey to achieve their lifelong learning and career aspirations.
As a co-owner of IELTS, we deliver the English test that is trusted by more governments, universities and organisations than any other. We also operate English language teaching schools in South East Asia.
We are innovators, driven by the needs of our customers and deep data insights. Our 5,000 team members based around the world understand that our services change lives – not only of our customers, but their wider communities.
By combining empathy and professional expertise with digital excellence, we create launch pads for our customers to achieve global success.
IDP has completed the first phase of its digital transformation which has directly contributed to the massive acceleration in the world’s leading Edu-Tech business helping students fulfil their lifelong learning opportunities at the world’s top universities.
Our transformation journey is far from complete and we have an exciting range of projects utilizing our latest generation SAP SaaS suite of tools, SAFE agile, AWS integration and microservices landscape and our in-house development experts.
A key part of our strategy is to imbibe quality in whatever we do. We’re looking for an experienced Senior Quality Engineer - Functional to be part of our vibrant testing team which drives this purpose.
The right candidate will have expertise in testing all aspects of a product and will be able to determine the level of testing that is required considering the context.
You’ll be someone who gets a kick out of being a critical member of a high-performing team, planning and delivering the step change in test quality and performance.
We’ll be relying on you to…
- Actively participate in the story grooming exercise – raise risks, suggest scenarios and identify gaps in requirements while they are being prepared
- Collaborate actively with the fellow testers, developers, the BAs, Scrum Master and the POs to achieve the best outcome out of the testing exercise
- Communicate the status of the product regularly through status reports and on the stand ups
- Evaluate and apply the best testing method & approach to get confidence on the product with optimal use of resources.
- Understand and explore the technical architecture of the product under test, analyse risks by area and propose tests that would identify problems
- Understand the integrations and plan tests based on the risks involved
- Understands how to test all aspects of the product/system such as Functional, Integration, System, SEO, Compatibility
- Test a product / part of the product understanding the risk involved
- Document the test in an appropriate way to give visibility to the stakeholders
- Test data management.
- Timely feedback on the test case and scripts to the Quality Engineers.
- Provide maximum technical details on bugs to be able to quickly debug and fix the problem
- Analyse a problem thoroughly before jumping to conclusions by collaborating closely with the technical team
- Learn basics of new technologies quickly to be able to test and plan tests effectively
- Identify tests / test processes that could be automated
- Automate regression tests
- Use test automation effectively to reduce the time taken to test
- Identify scope for performance and security testing within the application and advocate them to the product team, if not already in scope
With the below core skills...
- Technical Testing Skills – Ability to understand the system architecture of the application under test. Ability to explore multiple ways to test through UI, API and the backend. Ability to learn the application through exploration.
- Achieving Results – Be aware of key business objectives and ensure these are applied appropriately to all business activities.
- Building Relationships – Able to develop effective relationships with all IDP staff and be recognised as providing a supporting role.
- Customer Focus (internal & external) – Able to anticipate and understand customer expectations and ensure customer requirements are met and expectations appropriately managed. Able to build professional relationships with customers and focus on solving their problems.
- Communication – Good communication skills suitable for the liaison with departmental staff and senior management. Demonstrate good communication, both orally and in writing, with colleagues, clients and customers including producing reports, preparing, organising and delivering presentations using appropriate tools and techniques.
- Planning and Organising – Good at determining a course of action by breaking it down into smaller steps and by planning and resourcing each of these, making allowance for potential problems.
- Teamwork – Able to contribute effectively towards the objectives of a team, and be able to share knowledge, ideas and information. Aware of the needs, objectives and constraints of those in other disciplines and functions.
- Fellow Test team members
- Development Squads and Architects
- Technical Delivery Heads
- Product Owners
- Third party integration partners
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- Degree qualified with more than 3 years of experience in Software Testing
- Skills – Extensive experience in functional testing of the UI, API and the DB. Proven experience in automation and testing techniques.
- Analytical Thinking – Good at acquiring an understanding of a problem or situation and developing an approach to interacting with the situation.
- Stress Handling – Retaining objectivity and proper understanding of a problem or situation when placed under conditions of stress.
- Training & Certification – Advantageous if certified in Testing.