Practice Head – Data Engineering & Governance
Digital Campus | Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India | Full Time
An ASX100 business part that is owned by Australian universities, IDP is a pioneer in international education services. Our core business lines include student placement to Australia, US, UK, Canada and New Zealand institutions, English-language testing and training.
We are on a mission to build the world's leading platform and connected community to guide students along their journey to achieve their lifelong learning and career aspirations.
As a co-owner of IELTS, we deliver the English test that is trusted by more governments, universities and organisations than any other. We also operate English language teaching schools in South East Asia.
We are innovators, driven by the needs of our customers and deep data insights. Our 5,000 team members based around the world understand that our services change lives – not only of our customers, but their wider communities.
By combining empathy and professional expertise with digital excellence, we create launch pads for our customers to achieve global success.
In this role you will be leading and managing the IDP’s Data Engineering and Governance, an enterprise
capability team and be responsible for ;
- Drive consistency throughout IDP’s Enterprise Data through clear thinking, excellent
communication, world class engineering practices and a collaborative attitude –
- creating opportunities to improve experience for students, clients and test takers.
- enabling MLOps to run at scale through a mature controls and monitoring environment
- Helping data products to stay ahead of competitors
- facilitating reliable digitization of business processes enabling further ML and insights
- - Implement effective data governance model along with key stakeholders, product owners and
- technical delivery team;
- enabling ownership of data by the business
- providing clear requirements for data to developers
- Own master data management and align its requirements with functional data owners to ensure
functional master data integrity across the operation of IDP’s systems is consistent and meets
stated business rules and requirements.
- Work closely with the business/IT to ensure alignment of master data rules and the
- operations of the application meet all requirements.
- Ensure master data integrity in key systems as well as maintaining the processes to the
- data quality. Identify areas for data quality improvements and help to resolve data quality
- problems through the appropriate choice of error detection and correction, process control
- and improvement, or process design strategies.
- Deliver MLOps through development of mature Machine Learning Operations (MLOps) processes
delivered by MLOps squad
- Setting up and building Data Engineering practice, focusing on Python, multi-cloud data services,
solutioning development, competency development and pipeline management.
- Oversee the building of tools and frameworks for data engineers and data scientists to simplify and
improve the development process.
- Own and drive data engineering projects and provide leadership to a group of engineers, and data
analysts in an innovative and fast-paced environment
- Initiate processes that allow the team to collaborate effectively with local as well as global teams
- Hire and retain high performing data engineers, data scientists and data analysts to deliver data
- Develop and deliver communication and education plans on data engineering capabilities,
standards, and processes
Leadership and Interactions
- A leader responsible for driving clarity and data consistency across a broad range of solutions –
Understanding both commercial opportunities and technical realities.
- Make sound architectural decisions across relational, multi-dimensional, distributed and objectbased storage platforms
- Close collaboration and partnering with product management team from requirements to delivery
Take responsibility for Outcomes
You love technology, are continuously learning and extending your knowledge of best practice and the business
value of technology innovations.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- Bachelor/Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, quantitative studies such as
- statistics, Math, Operation Research, and Advanced Analytics
- Experience in establishing data governance programs with a business – led approach
- 12+ years of hands-on experience in Data Engineering and Data Analytics with minimum 5-7+ years of
- development Experiences as in;
- Proficiency in SQL.
- Knowledge of Cloud Computing, AWS services such as EC2, S3, VPC and Redshift.
- Data modelling and metadata management
- Experience in building fast, robust, effective and efficient analytics data pipelines with modern cloud
- development technologies covering data collection, transformation, storage and exposure
- Knowledge of optimal design of database environments, analyzing complex distributed production
- deployments, and making recommendations to optimize performance.
- Hands on LLD and HLD, Data Dictionary, Metadata management
- Able to effectively present information, gain feedback and respond to questions from groups of senior
- leaders, stakeholders and customers
- Comfortable with working with multiple stakeholders in a multi-cultural environment of a global matrix organization with sensitivity and partnering