Information Services | Melbourne City, Victoria, Australia | Contract
IDP Education Limited is an ASX listed company that is 50% owned by 38 Australian universities and headquartered in Melbourne, Australia. IDP’s core business lines include student placement to Australia, US, UK, Canada and New Zealand institutions, English-language testing and training.
An ASX100 business part that is owned by Australian universities, IDP is a pioneer in international education services. Our core business lines include student placement to Australia, US, UK, Canada and New Zealand institutions, English-language testing and training.
We are on a mission to build the world's leading platform and connected community to guide students along their journey to achieve their lifelong learning and career aspirations.
As a co-owner of IELTS, we deliver the English test that is trusted by more governments, universities and organisations than any other. We also operate English language teaching schools in South East Asia.
We are innovators, driven by the needs of our customers and deep data insights. Our 5,000 team members based around the world understand that our services change lives – not only of our customers, but their wider communities.
By combining empathy and professional expertise with digital excellence, we create launch pads for our customers to achieve global success.
Job Type: This is a 6 months contract with a possibility of going permanent starting FY22.
The mission of IDP’s Student Placement business is to build the global platform and connected community that guides international students to achieve their lifelong learning and career aspirations. While our digital transformation is well progressed, we have a massive agenda to further revolutionise our industry – the pace of change is only increasing.
As the Platform Architect you will work closely with the Platform Technical Owner, Solution Architects, and other key business and technical leaders, to drive IDP’s innovation agenda across our digital platforms and modern architectures.
The impact you’ll have:
When we do our job well people’s lives change – it is an awesome feeling.
- You’ll utilize your deep and practical understanding of Modern Software Engineering (EDA, MSA, AWS Serverless, ML, Micro Front-End, Observability) to make a tangible impact on the speed with which we deliver high quality features.
- Your experience in data and integration will influence the extension and use of our Event Driven Architecture to further accelerate the speed of our business and our use of Machine Learning to achieve even better outcomes for more of our customers.
- You’ll formally set aside a day a week to work on the platform technical strategy. You’ll work closely with the Platform Technical Owner and Business Leaders to build and maintain a runway that anticipates the next level of services.
- By working closely with project teams and other members of the Architecture community you will share your experience. You’ll be someone people ask for to be involved in their projects based on the value you bring.
IDP’s Technology Landscape
IDP’s Digital Transformation is well progressed, we’re now capitalizing on it to drive our innovation agenda. Some of what you’ll find when you start:
- Leading SaaS Solutions: Most of our core business functions are supported by leading SaaS solutions. We have a very small on-premise footprint.
- An Event Driven Architecture: we are well advanced in moving our key integrations onto the PubSub pattern with fault tolerance and observability.
- Agile and DevSecOps: IDP utilizes SafeAgile supported by Jira and Confluence. We have begun moving to CICD facilitated by Gitlab.
- A Micro Services and Micro Front-end Architectures – Our build out of our distributed architectures is underway. We have our first set of Micro-Services and Micro-Frontends built and serving our customers.
- AWS Serverless – We heavily utilize AWS Serverless features provisioned via IaC.
- Machine Learning – IDP has a highly skilled Chief Data Officer unit that is utilizing the EDA and other data to build advanced intelligence into our processes and outcomes. We already have some of these algorithms making their way into our landscape and driving outcomes.
You are equally comfortable in working at the Strategic level and dealing with technical blockers within a project. Some of the attributes that would make you perfect for this role:
- You have had experience in many architecture domains and are especially comfortable in dealing with Integration, Modern Software Engineering, AWS Serverless, Network and Security, and Data. You absolutely love learning and sharing your new knowledge.
- You get stuff done. From strategic work, solution architectures, to removing technical blockers – you will quickly earn a reputation for making an impact.
- You have a knack for explaining technology in business terms. You can explain the business benefits of technology choices and can make the complex understandable. You are equally comfortable speaking to C-Level leaders, other Architects, Business Analysts and Developers.
- Your natural leadership skills set you up as an influencer across IDP. While you recognise that most architectural challenges have many acceptable solutions, you are confident to challenge bad solutions.
To have obtained the wisdom and experience critical for this role we expect you have been operating in a variety of architect roles for 8-10 years.
If you have previous experience in a digital customer service business, working with SAP SaaS solutions, maturing software delivery with CICD, or a TOGAF certification you should mention those.