Business Development Manager
Commercial | Hybrid in Melbourne City, Victoria, Australia | Full Time
An ASX100 business with a 50-year heritage, IDP is a global leader in international education services. We’ve been operating for 50 years with a global office network spanning over 100 offices and our websites attract a combined 100 million visits a year.
Our team of experienced and dedicated counsellors are experts at providing trusted advice to students and their families at every step of the international education journey, and almost 8 in 10 students placed by IDP recommend our services to their family and friends.
IDP’s ongoing success comes from our highly committed and professional employees around the globe. Our diverse talent, expertise and passion of our people that makes IDP unique. We strive to provide a working environment where our people are encouraged to excel, be agile and creative, seek new ways to solve problems, take initiative, and generate new opportunities. We respect diversity in our people: their ideas, work styles and perspectives.
IDP is building a global, connected marketplace that guides international students into the life and career of their dreams. IDP co-owns IELTS, which supports test-takers’ study, migration, and professional ambitions. We not only jointly provide the IELTS test, we help test-takers prepare and gain confidence through IELTS support tools and guidance.
As corporate team within IDP, we help to create experiences that help students understand their options, choose their path, and reach their study goals. We’re embarking on a series of strategic digital projects to provide a seamless, transparent, personalised customer experience that puts the customer in control of their outcome.
It is an exciting time to be part of the IDP team. As we continue to build our global platform to guide international students along their journey to achieve their lifelong learning and career aspirations.
We invite you to join our team at Melbourne for an exciting new product as a Business Development Manager.
You work to improve IDP’s market position and achieve financial growth as we launch a new product to market. This role works on long term strategy together with the BU manager, builds key customer relationships, identifies business opportunities, negotiates, and closes business deals and maintains extensive knowledge of current market conditions. Working with an internal team, marketing staff, and other managers to increase sales opportunities and maximize revenue for IDP from our new B2B product offering.
You will find potential new B2B customers, present to them, ultimately convert them into clients, and continue to grow business in the future. You will also stay connected to clients once they are onboard to ensure they stay satisfied and positive. The role requires extensive travel as the customer base is built and requires the ability to work & lead remotely.
There is also a small team to manage that are responsible for sales, product, marketing, and customer support for this product. Team members will also be supported by a broader IDP functional management team in a matrixed organisational framework.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
The Business Development Manager works to improve IDP’s market position and achieve financial growth as we launch a new English language testing SaaS product to market called Envoy. This role builds key customer relationships, identifies business opportunities, negotiates, and closes business deals and maintains extensive knowledge of current market conditions. The role is part of a growing team including marketing staff, product manager and customer support for the product, that are “hands on” to assist with increasing sales opportunities and maximizing revenue for IDP from this new B2B product offering.
The primary role of the Business Development Manager is to prospect for new B2B clients by networking, cold calling, advertising, or other means of generating interest from potential clients. They must then plan persuasive approaches and pitches that will convince potential clients to do business with the company. They must develop a rapport with new clients to understand customer challenges, seek sales opportunities, qualify accounts and to provide support over time that will continually improve the relationship. Once customers are on board they are also required to grow and retain existing accounts by presenting new solutions to clients and seeking ongoing contract renewals.
Business Development Manager works closely with the Senior Business Development manager to develop a territory plan, report on status of accounts within in the sales pipeline, and to manage sales negotiations to successful conclusions and meet KPI’s.
While responsibilities may vary the main duties of the Business Development Manager can be summarized as follows:
New Business Prospecting
- Prospect for potential new clients and turn this into increased business.
- Cold call as appropriate to ensure a robust pipeline of opportunities.
- Meet potential clients by growing, maintaining, and leveraging your network.
- Identify potential clients, and the decision makers within the client organization.
- Research and build relationships with new clients.
- Set up meetings between client decision makers and company’s SME’s to advance the sales proposition
- Plan & execute approaches and pitches.
- Work with the Envoy team to develop proposals that speaks to the client’s needs, concerns, and objectives.
- Use a variety of styles to persuade or negotiate appropriately to close deals with long term relationships in mind.
- Present new products and develop strong relationships with clients.
- Work with internal colleagues to meet customer needs for proposals, quotations, contracts and to ensure customers are invoiced and revenue is recognised.
- Arrange and participate in internal and external client debriefs.
- Represent the customer voice in internal meetings and in developing future product requirements.
Business Development Planning
- Attend industry functions, such as association events and conferences, and provide feedback and information on market and creative trends.
- Present to and consult with your manager and other internal staff on business trends with a view to developing new services, products, and distribution channels.
- Identify opportunities for campaigns, services, and distribution channels that will lead to an increase in sales.
- Using knowledge of the market and competitors, work with marketing and product team to identify and develop IDP’s unique selling propositions and differentiators.
Management and Research
- Develop a sales territory plan to meet your annual KPI’s
- Monitor, track and record activity on your accounts and help to close deals to meet these targets.
- Understand IDP’s goals and purpose and translate that into participating in a team culture that continually enhances the company’s performance.
We’re interested in hearing from people who possess:
- A bachelor’s degree, in marketing, IT, computer science or business
- 3-5 years of sales or marketing experience, preferably with background in the education, English language teaching or Edutech industries in a B2B environment
- A demonstrable history of delivering or exceeding sales targets
- Fluent in English and at least one other language (preferred Mandarin or Spanish)
Other Skills and Qualifications
- Public Speaking
- Closing Skills
- Prospecting Skills
- Sales & Business Planning
- Identification of Customer Needs and Challenges
- Territory Management
- Market Knowledge (Education Sector)
- Meeting Sales Goals
More about us
We are evolving rapidly. This is an exciting time to join us as we transform the way people access global education and opportunities, through leveraging innovative technology and a creating a connected world.
As a Great place to work certified organisation, our people are always at the forefront of what we do. We strive to provide workplaces that are truly diverse and representative of the communities that we work in, so our people feel empowered to bring their best and authentic selves to work. We are focused on continuing to build a culture of inclusion and belonging by providing a safe work environment where all our people are encouraged to excel, be agile and creative, and seek new ways to solve meaningful problems.
Why join us
Be part of our story, as we support you to create meaningful and rewarding experiences, grow your career with purpose, and celebrate as a global team.
If you identify as a member of an underrepresented community, we encourage you to apply, even if you feel you do not meet all the criteria, but have relevant skills, experience and capability that will enhance the role. At IDP, you can be yourself, be seen, heard, valued, and celebrated every day for your meaningful contributions. If you require any adjustments, let us know.
Some other benefits include:
- Work in our new 6 green star office, featuring creative collaboration zones and a focus on health and wellbeing.
- Professional development programs to grow your career.
- Two paid volunteer days every year to support our local communities.
- Stay energized with free fresh fruit and barista onsite.