Legal | New York, NY | Full Time
As a division of IAC (Nasdaq: IAC), IAC Applications brings together a unique collection of award-winning technology companies to form one of the world’s largest distributors of utility applications, with its products downloaded more than one million times a day across desktop, browser and mobile devices.
Apalon is a leading developer of Android and iOS mobile applications for businesses and consumers. With one of the most popular app portfolios in the world, Apalon’s products reach more than 20 million monthly active users and include well-known titles such as WeatherLive, Notepad+, My Alarm Clock, Emoji Keypad and many more. A unique blend of passion and skills are at the core of our company’s DNA, driving our team to produce top-rated, award-winning mobile experiences for millions of people around the world. In 2015, Apalon applications were downloaded from iTunes more than 100 million times.
IAC Applications is seeking an internet, privacy and software law guru, who is an expert negotiator and drafting genius for our dynamic and fast-growing Apalon mobile team.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Providing legal, privacy and compliance advice with respect to mobile applications, social media, virtual worlds, gaming and content sites.
- Negotiating and drafting complex transactional agreements for application, game and content development and distribution; business development; inbound and outbound licenses; ad network/exchange deals; online marketing transactions.
- Being integrally involved in the businesses’ product development and ensuring compliance with legal policies and procedures and substantive legal issues: US data privacy, marketing/advertising law, open source, trademark and copyright. Familiarization with US data privacy laws is a plus.
- Drafting web and software documentation, including EULAs, Terms of Service and Privacy Policies.
- Advising and supporting Legal and Business Development teams on various matters, including legal guidelines for new applications/games and content production.
- From time to time, assist with due diligence related large corporate transactions, including M&A.
- Monitoring and advising on applicable regulations and legislation.
- Taking preemptive measures to avoid legal risks, conflicts and issues.
The successful candidate should have the following:
- A law degree from an accredited law school; At least four years’ legal work experience after law school graduation.
- Blend of law firm and in-house experience ideally; preferably transactional IP/IT focused and at least 2 years in-house.
- Excellent drafting skills: demonstrated experience with commercial transactions, specifically the drafting and negotiation of complex technology-related agreements.
- Strong background in Internet, digital media, gaming, online advertising, copyright, trademark and US privacy law.
- Experience overseeing and closing multiple projects and transactions.
- New York bar membership.
- Adaptability and ability to work on a wide range of matters that arise on a day-to-day basis.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Ability to identify and manage risk and work well with business teams.
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills and command of the English language for internal and external communications
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team with rapidly changing deadlines and priorities.
- Displays a commitment to ethics and integrity, professionalism and a sense of humor.
*This role will sit in our NYC office
IAC Applications is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.
As an IAC company (Nasdaq: IAC), IAC Applications is part of a family that includes many of the most successful media and internet brands in the world, including About.com, HomeAdvisor, Vimeo and The Daily Beast. IAC is consistently ranked in Fortune magazine’s list among the world's most admired companies in the Internet Services & Retailing sector.