Senior Manager, HR
Human Resources | New York, NY | Full Time
The Daily Beast was founded in 2008 as the vision of Tina Brown and IAC Chairman Barry Diller. Curated to avoid information overload, the site is dedicated to breaking news and sharp commentary. In 2011, The Daily Beast became the online home of Newsweek magazine, which has served as the world’s preeminent conversation starter since its founding in 1933. Tina Brown, former editor of Vanity Fair, The New Yorker and Talk, serves as editor-in-chief of both publications. The site currently attracts over 16 MM unique monthly visitors, has a social media community of 4 million active users, and was recently awarded the prestigious Webby Award for Best News Site for the second year running.
Title: Sr. Manager, HR
Department: Human Resources
Supervisor: Chief Administrative Officer & General Counsel, Newsweek/Daily Beast
The Sr. Manager, HR for Newsweek/Daily Beast will lead the HR function with a focus on recruitment, labor and employee relations, immigration and HR program development. This position will partner with IAC Corporate HR for payroll and benefits services and Newsweek/Daily Beast’s CAO/GC on labor relations issues, recruiting and all other employee-related matters. The ideal candidate will be assertive, a creative problem solver who loves a challenge and will bring the skills and know-how to make an instant impact.
- Provide leadership and management in the development and implementation of human resources objectives, policies, guidelines, and procedures utilizing human resources “best practices” systems and methodology
- Serve as primary contact on all Employee Relations matters and, along with the CAO/GC, foster a continued amicable partnership with the Newspaper Guild of New York (the union representing Newsweek/Daily Beast’s non-management editorial staff)
- Partner closely with the CAO/GC on labor relations issues to provide strategic solutions and a partnership for negotiating contracts, resolving situations to avoid grievances and arbitrations and ensure constant compliance with labor laws and entitlements of the current Guild contract.
- Further develop and administer HR programs such as performance management, internal referral program and career tracking initiatives
- Oversee and provide necessary guidance on recruitment at all levels; hands-on recruitment responsibilities for senior level exempt positions
- Provide timely and effective management and resolution of employee relations issues.
- Ensure compliance with state and federal regulatory requirements and conventions with respect to personnel administration including equal employment opportunity, affirmative action and fair employment practices.
- Analyze trends in turnover, hiring, promotions, separations, and formal complaints to determine actions needed to enhance favorable and adjust unfavorable trends.
- Work closely with department managers to ensure proper development and career tracking for employees.
- Manage budget and planning process; supervise staff of one
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Development, Business or related field, Master’s degree preferred.
- No less than 7 years’ experience in HR; 3 to 5 years’ experience in managing the HR function; experience working in media industry and a strong labor relations background in a unionized work environment preferred
- Excellent interpersonal, strategic partnership and strong leadership skills are essential.
- Must have the ability to influence others and be effective working closely with senior management.
- A track record of developing talent and creating clear paths and processes for moving departments as well as people forward.
- The individual must be a self-starter with a high degree of credibility, integrity and energy, with a strong desire to utilize HR tools in helping the business grow and succeed.
- Mentoring/coaching skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects with varying priorities in a fast-paced, start-up environment.